The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Trans not mating flush to block...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High PSI

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2004
USA, Australia
Had to pull my trans out to figure out where I was leaking oil from (oil galley plug next to freeze plug) and why my clutch wasn't disengaging (clutch disc got stuck to Fidanza flywheel because I only moved the car about 10-feet before I found the oil leak, and thus didn't burn off the green anti-corrosion coating on the flywheel).

I'm on my third motor but as I was installing the trans yesterday I realised I've never installed just the trans myself. When I had the clutch done in 2003 I was totally green and paid a mechanic to do it. Every other time I bolted the trans to the motor and dropped it in from above. Installing the trans alone with the car on jack-stands (and without a tranny-jack, because I couldn't get the car high enough to use it) SUCKS! Probably the worst job I've done on any car...

Anyway, as I was buttoning up the flywheel inspection cover I looked up and noticed that the trans wasn't pulled in all the way on the transfer-case side, but was flush on the slave cylinder side...:ohdamn:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Any suggestions on how to straighten this out? There's really nothing on the transfer case side of the block/trans to pull them together.

Currently the wide and rear motor mounts are installed (cross member and front mount not in yet). My plan was to leave everything connected to the mounts, but to loosen the trans bolts and shake the motor and trans around to see if I can get that dowel to slide in.

Any suggestions on how to straighten this out? There's really nothing on the transfer case side of the block/trans to pull them together.
You are missing the back side M8 mounting bolt that goes from driver side to passenger side.

Last edited:
You are missing the back side M8 mounting bolt that goes from driver side to passenger side.

Ahhhhhhh! Of course. That hole was driving me nuts - I kept thinking that there had to be something on that side of the block, saw that hole, and thought it would make sense that something would pull that in...but on the other side of that hole (trans) you end up way out next to the axle. I totally forgot that one goes in "backwards".:coy: Massive brain-fart and a consequence of assembling something I disassembled three years ago...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back