The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Trans not going into any gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackedDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Alright. I have an idea already about what the problem is, but I'm mainly just curious to get some second opinions.

Problem/Symptoms: 95 automatic AWD. When I first bought it, it was in limp mode. I drove it a few feet forward to reach the hose to wash it. After I parked it and tried to move it again, car wouldn't go into reverse or any gear. I could rev it in neutral, and drop it in D and it would go into gear a couple times, but that only worked a few times. Now it's nothing. No amount of revving, no matter how high, in 1-2-D or R will make it go into gear. Changed the transmission fluid(no metal chunks, no silver streaks, only small amount of typical clutch material on the magnets), new ATF +4 fluid...and fluid isn't even leaving the pan. There's a VERY loud clicking from the solenoids that tells me all of them are working, just no fluid to actually push.

Thoughts. What do you think or know my problem is? I have an idea already but don't want to swing anyone's opinion by being biased.

Sounds like the pump might be fried if you have nothing at all. The filter could of came unbolted also. You might pull the pan and make sure that the filter is still bolted on tight.

Sounds like the pump might be fried if you have nothing at all. The filter could of came unbolted also. You might pull the pan and make sure that the filter is still bolted on tight.

I didn't think of that last part. I'm ripping it apart(hopefully) this weekend to tear it down completely and verify once and for all...if it's something that stupid I'm going to just not say anything to anyone. Lol.

Question, wouldn't a bad TC go SLOWLY bad? As in the car would still move but just slip noticeably, or can they just suddenly take a shit after not moving/sitting/being driven for 3+ years? I would assume that even with a bad TC I could get some fluid pressure up and out of the pan.

I didn't think of that last part. I'm ripping it apart(hopefully) this weekend to tear it down completely and verify once and for all...if it's something that stupid I'm going to just not say anything to anyone. Lol.

Question, wouldn't a bad TC go SLOWLY bad? As in the car would still move but just slip noticeably, or can they just suddenly take a sh** after not moving/sitting/being driven for 3+ years? I would assume that even with a bad TC I could get some fluid pressure up and out of the pan.

Torque converters very rarely go out, when they do they usually lock up instead of slip.

Awesome, that's what I was thinking as well. I'm fairly confident with these autos as I've had them for awhile...but no one is perfect and it always helps to have a second/third/+ opinion on things. :) Definitely appreciate any/all help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back