The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Trans Noise/Shake

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalon1991

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2005
Traverse City, Michigan
Hey guys I own a 91 tsi awd. I would do a search for it but i cant come up with that i would call this. The transmission overall is alright, needs some better fluid but is a decent trans except: 4th gear moves when u let on or off the gas. And it does this winding down noise(kinda like a turbo spollin up but backwards). WHen i think of the winding noise i think of pinion bearings in the rear differential but it sounds like its coming from the front. Could this be my transfer case or somethign side the trans? Adding to the list. All the gears shake a little and lastly when holding at a steady speed it shakes really bad but then u accelerate and its fine or deacclerate and its fine. Any ideas on any of this guys owuld be much appreciated. I am considering the shep trans stage 1 rebuild. Do you think i should yes or no? Or i was also considering a new trans and transfer casing hoping to cure the problems. I am on a tight budget and would like the best buy and that will last longer.THanks in advance.

THanks,

Jeff

If the shifter moves in 4th gear the the trans rebuild was no good. Something is not tight or seated i pull my transmissons apart all the time and to tell you the truth im no that careful when doing it and the shifter does not move at all when im on or off the gas. the whining is normal in reverse those are straight cut gears so they make noise.

I dont think there on the same page Turbo. I was considering getting a rebuild, i dont have one yet. Also i know that all dsm's wine in reverse, thats not the case here. Mine wines when i let off the gas going Forward. So what would cause the gears to wine when letting off the gas?

Ohh ok well then you have a big problem your bearings are wearing out and your getting endplay in the shafts. see when you put load on the tranny it moves the shafts back and forth in the trans and you feel it in the shifter. If the moves to much the gears will not mesh right. It will either lock into a gear one day or just lock up all together. Pull it out and have it rebuilt soon or you will be looking for a new core! Call Shep or TRE

I seem to have the same problem. I have had a low pitch growl in the front and its gotten to the point where I have parked it in fear of detonation. I removed the transfer case today and hooked back up the exhaust to check and see if the noise was still there. I have the car on stands by the way and sure enough it only took a second to tell it was the trany makin the noise. I have had a little bit of a problem down shifting from 5 to 4, I have to sorta pull it back to 4th twice by letting off the shifter and moving it a little to the left then it will go into 4. So now that I am at risk of boring the crap out of you, my question is - Am I correct in my diagnosis and need to rebuild and 2nd if so what rebuild kit do you suggest. Backing up once more, I have a W5M33 in 91'Talon AWD Turbo. I read in another post the brass syncro clips were not as good, is that noticably true ?

Nevermind I figured it out. I thought Shep or TRE was the name of two people. I see TRE has what I need and then some. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back