The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Trans issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBDdsmer610

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2006
easton, Pennsylvania
Well guys I have been having some issues with my clutch/trans and it just decided to take a crap....I was about to pull up a hill and it popped out of gear and would not go back into any gear even when the car is at a dead stop and it's in gear the car just rolls like it's not in gear at all I'm trying to figure out what could be the cause of this...whether it's my clutch or intermediate shaft?

Yea goes in gear with the car off, but even with the car off when it's in gear the car will just roll like it's not in gear at all when it actually is

Last edited:
About 5 years ago pretty much the same thing happened I broke a spec clutch into 5 pieces and it was almost the same symptoms but the intermediate shaft broke in that trans and I guess took the clutch out with it...I hear you on ripping it all apart and looking at everything, but I live in the city with no garage so all I have is a street to work on...and I actually have an ACT 2600 with a 6 puck unsprung plate in it now with a streetlite flywheel...so there's no springs on my disk.....but I am wondering if my PP did take a crap!

I've done so much adjustment with it in the past week or so I kno it's nothing with the adjustment...and when it did happen I got on it a little bit at about 9psi to pull up a hill and a heard a noise and it came out of gear when it did happened the shifter didn't move it was still in 3rd when it happened and I pushed in the clutch and tried to put it back in and it just grinded I came to a stop and had it in gear and the car just started rolling when it was in gear....i havent tried yet but I'm pretty sure I can start the car with it in gear and let off the clutch and the car doesn't move...

Yea that's what I was thinking I'll do that test a little later and see what happens when I start it in gear and let off the clutch...and if it is my output shaft/intermediate then the trans is toast correct? and it's time to find a used one or buy one rebuilt from TRE or something like that

Well guys I got my trans out and luckaliy it's not too too serious. The splines on the friction plate are gone and they sheared off and it didn't damage my output shaft at all. My pressure plate also has some bent fingers and it hard to see that in the pictures but here is the pictures of my destroyed clutch

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 51
Damn! I run a ClutchNet sprung 6puck so there is less shock load on the tranny. I would imagine it also helps the splines take less abuse. I chose ClutchNet cause the springs are mostly encased with no risk of popping out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back