The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Trans cooler Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLUEBLOTCH

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2004
Amarillo, Texas
i searched and couldnt find anything. I was wondering should the Trans cooler be the first mods on my car, or can I get the downpipe,cat-back I was looking at? Is this a DSM specific trans cooler kit or is it you get a cooler and wire it all your self? Anytutorial on any of this stuff? TIA!

If you want your tranny to last longer, a tranny cooler is a good investment. B&M makes good ones. So does Hayden.

Isn't the tranny cooler on the driver side airduct? Opposite side of the SMIC?
Also, what size tranny cooler would you need? You don't want to freeze your tranny fluid.

Defiant said:
You already have a transmission cooler. All automatics do. An ehxaust shouldn't have that much effect on trans fluid temperature.

So if I alrady have one I need to buy a bigger colling unit and hookup to the existing lines? :confused:

actually, I believe not all automatics came with tranny coolers. Looking at my friends 99 gst auto I realized he doesn't have one. If i'm right turbo all-wheel autos all came with tranny coolers, and a select few gs-t came with them. :thumb:

You do need a new tranny cooler, but not just because of its size, but its efficiency. A stacked plate design tranny cooler is far superior to our little crappy units. Make sure to get one of that style.

All FWD/AWD autos came with trans coolers. The trans cooler could either be an external cooler on the driverside or an internal transcooler(inside the radiator)

BLUEBLOTCH said:
i searched and couldnt find anything. I was wondering should the Trans cooler be the first mods on my car, or can I get the downpipe,cat-back I was looking at? Is this a DSM specific trans cooler kit or is it you get a cooler and wire it all your self? Anytutorial on any of this stuff? TIA!

You should be fine with your existing tranny cooler. After you've upgraded your turbo and installed a shift kit and new end clutches is the time to get a more efficient trans cooler. Just be sure to allow proper cooling during racing and timely fluid changes.

SlowSpyder said:
All FWD/AWD autos came with trans coolers. The trans cooler could either be an external cooler on the driverside or an internal transcooler(inside the radiator)
This is correct. The 2Gb's tend to have the external coolers, and are located in front of the radiator just to the right of centerline when looking at the car from the front. I did my cooler install at the same time as my FMIC, and put the cooler where the old SMIC was. You don't have to do one first thing, but don't wait too long. I blew a tranny 'cuz I procrastinated in putting mine in.

doug said:
This is correct. The 2Gb's tend to have the external coolers, and are located in front of the radiator just to the right of centerline when looking at the car from the front. I did my cooler install at the same time as my FMIC, and put the cooler where the old SMIC was. You don't have to do one first thing, but don't wait too long. I blew a tranny 'cuz I procrastinated in putting mine in.

my 92's cooler is in the same spot. In the middle in front of the condenser.

No, my tranny cooler is above the power steering cooler. I know the difference between the two. :)

my 95 fwd tranny cooler is in the wheel well opposite of the intercooler.

I believe mine is on the driver's side (97 TSi AWD).

My additional question is: Is it better to remove and replace the cooler or to daisychain a new one in front of the original, routing the fluid through the new then the old and back to the tranny then? I was planning on the latter with the new one in front of the old one, it'd use a little extra fluid but COOLER.

Also, I plan on replacing the trans fluid & filter. Is there any performance fluid brand / type I need? Does the factory torque converter have a drain plug on it? Who makes shift kits for the AWD trans?

I've read every 10 degrees extra heat in a tranny reduces life greatly. I'm not sure how hot these things run and if I remember right 140 -150 is optimal tranny fluid temperature. Could be wrong on that optimal temp, but thats whats sticking in my head; 160 at the very most.

MarcVIII said:
Is it better to remove and replace the cooler or to daisychain a new one in front of the original, routing the fluid through the new then the old and back to the tranny then? I was planning on the latter with the new one in front of the old one, it'd use a little extra fluid but COOLER.
I'd say no, due to pumping loss of the fluid having to run that much further through small piping.

The easiest installation of an upgraded trans cooler on your 2G is to use a Long Tru-Cool (part number 4588) which measures 5 3/4 X 11 X 1 1/2 Thick.

Take out the factory cooler on the drivers side and replace it with the upgraded one. The Long unit includes all necessary mounting hardware and several feet of trans cooler hose.

There is plenty of room and you will probably increase the BTU's of heat rejection by 40% or so without danger of overcooling (these units are self regulating and basically bi-pass when the fluid is cold).

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/mitsubishiauto.shtml
(bottom of the page)

-John

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

John,

What do you recommend for the easiest installation on a 1G (92 AWD if that matters)?

Greg

doug said:
Wow, self-regulating-- that's pretty neat. How's it do that? I have a B&M SuperCooler on mine-- do you know if it's a self-regulating one as well?

A B&M is not self regulating.

-John

IbSpoolin said:
John,

What do you recommend for the easiest installation on a 1G (92 AWD if that matters)?

Greg

There are different set ups for the 1G's at the factory level- some utilize the radiator as a heat exchanger.

If this is the case, I always prefer to go into the radiator first and then into an external cooler.

-John

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back