The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tranny will shift when car is off, won't when on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStoops

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2008
Norwalk, Connecticut
Hey guys, just got my project running, but ive run into a few problems.

first, the tranny will shift just fine into any gear when the engine is off. but when i try to put it into any gear while the engine is running, it wont engage.:confused:
The clutch has been bleed and adjusted. Can someone give me a picture of how far their slave cylinder rod goes when the clutch is to the floor?

I know itsnot my TOB because its brand new and a PTT one.The clutch/flywheel combo is a PTT as well. Any ideas?

Also, none of my electricalworks... no fuses are blown though. The dash warning lights will go on, but windows dont work, headlights, interior lights, nothing...

ok does it grind when you put it in gear and what was the state of your clutch fork. and when you shift it does grind alot

I can't even put it into gear when the engine is on, grinds like crazy. I didn't force it cause I didnt wanna cause damage to the tranny.

I looked on the TRE site and it helped a little bit but not a ton...

Also, yes the clutch is new and its in perfect condition. I would hate to have to take the tranny out.... I've gotta get this car out of my driveway this weekend.

did you have any issues before you replaced teh clutch? It could be as simple as improper bleeding of the clutch slave/master cylinder. How does the pedal feel. Is there a lot of slop at the top half of the pedal travel?

Is your clutch pedal push rod adjusted properly :confused:

Before I get flamed...;) me and a bud, just installed a brand new Centerforce clutch on his 280Z stroker, we forgot about the pedal height adjustment and even though we had thought we set the pedal properly and had bled the system turns out we misadjusted the pedal and we had EXACTLY the same symptoms you describe.

If the length of the push rod on the clutch pedal isn't set at the correct length, then when you press the clutch pedal down you don't get the proper amount of piston travel in the slave cylinder and that translates to less fluid transfer to the clutch fork and therefore less TOB travel and the the clutch won't release properly.

Try following the VFAQ link. Clutch Adjustment

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back