The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Tranny painting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'97boostinGST

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2010
Oxnard, California
I'll be getting my clutch replaced in the next week or so and wanted to clean up everything possible while the tranny is out, the biggest thing I wanted to clean was the tranny itself.

Is there any special paint that people use to paint the tranny and give it that 'brand new' OEM look without getting it professionally painted?

I'm so glad you are talking about painting a transmission and not something else. :thumb:

J-Speed: What were you referring to?

Thanks Phunny, I'll look into that.

Any household solvents that help alot to degreaser the tranny?
Like SimpleGreen?

Simple Green, undiluted in concentrated from coming from straight out of the jug and a scrub brush does wonders on any form of grease ...

or ...

laundry detergent like "Tide", or even "Dawn" dish soap does excellent wonders to grease as well .. straight out of the bottle...

or...

just hit it with a 2000 psi power washer - that'll blow the grease off pretty nicely... and wear a raincoat..

I used Simple Green and a fine grit brush and it came out great.

from experience with cleaning all the different fluids a black hawk helicopter has dawn works pretty nice. Also if you have access to an air compressor harbor freight sells a cheap "engine cleaning gun" for either $6.99-$7.99 depending on if its on sale or not. Engine Cleaning Gun and i have used that on the aircraft as well. Just dont use to much air pressure or the air will over power the vaccuum created for spraying the cleaner of your choice.

Thanks everyone but i decided to clean EVERYTHING while i do the rebuild so that everything is clean off the bat.

I'm using the simple green brand heavy duty cleaner to clean my transmission. I use it on concentrated form straight from the bottle, also it's available at Lowes or HD, it's a purple liquid instead of green. And I would use at least a 500 degree engine enamel for paint.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back