The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tranny or clutch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glowskii

Probationary Member
Apr 23, 2015
Anaheim, California
I was driving today perfectly fine and out of a sudden the car didn't want to walk no more what could it be? I just recently installed a brand new tranny with 1k miles on it and a new clutch ..

We need more information. Did it stop running? Does the engine rev with the car not moving? What make and model is the car?
The engine revs , car is still on the gears like slip , car is eagle Talon 1995 awd turbo

I just had this happen to me too. Was sitting at a light, went through 1st gear, got into second up to 4k rmps and boom. It sounded as if an axle broke and I was only able to go 10 mph. It began to make a clunking noise after every rotation of the tires. No matter what gear, I was barely able to go. I pulled over and take a look at my front passenger cv axle which is now broken. I then get it towed home, fix the axle and now the car won't even go. I throw it in 1st gear, let the clutch out and nothing even happens; doesn't stall, go, nothing. I can rev it and it just sounds like a grinding noise. This happens in all the gears (1st-5th) except reverse. Reverse still works. Any ideas? I have a '95 gsx manual. Previous owner says it has a Fidanza lightweight flywheel and a oem stock clutch.

ALSO, prior to this, I never had any issues with grinding, pop outs, lock outs or anything

Were you under load (accelerating) when this happened? Were you in the process of shifting? If you accidentally over shifted, it may be a bent shift fork in the transmission, which would make it either not go into gear or go past the gear. Either way it will yell at you since the gears aren't meshing properly. I wouldn't drive it until you inspect the inside to make sure you're not shearing teeth. I'm thinking it's not a clutch issue due to reverse still working fine. Some may argue that it may be a broken spring in the friction disc or pressure plate, but whether that's accurate or not, I've only seen a broken clutch spring give issues in EVERY gear, but I suppose it's a possibility. Hope this gives some ideas. Good luck...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back