The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Tranny or Clutch took a dump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96dsmftw

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2011
Richmond, Kentucky
97 gsx m/t. stock clutch as far as I know, got the car about a ago. Started driving tonight, shifted 1 to 2 no problem. Went to shift to third and nothing... I could move the shifter through the gears while moving and clutch pedal out. I am pretty sure the throw out bearing was going bad, squealing with clutch pedal out no noise when pushed in. It is sitting in the Mitsubishi car lot now. When I coasted into a parking lot I pushed the clutch fork and the rod on the slave didnt come back out. Also could rotate the clutch fork about 10 degrees either way... could be broken? Anyone have any ideas what to expect? And left the house keys on the car keys in the night drop just to add insult to injury..

If you can rotate the fork, it sounds like the throwout bearing fell apart or the clip came off. Either way, you'll have to pull the tranny and check it out.

mitsu hasn't looked at the car yet but wants to order a stock replacement clutch. Should I just get the Southend setup I want and will it work with the stock flywheel if it isn't too bad? a new engine was put in at 70k ago. It has 146k total. And everything was fine shifting wise before it went

I would go south bend over a stock replacement any day! Make sure you get a new fork and pivot ball and oem tob! And depending on how the flywheel looks you might consider swapping it out for a act flywheel! Why not do the job yourself? It's not that tough to do at home even easier with a friend helping!

Last edited:
If you stick with the stock flywheel (I wouldn't if it has 146k on it), make sure you get it resurfaced with the proper step height. If you pull it out and it looks fine (no cracks), you'll probably be fine with just having it resurfaced properly. Just make sure it's resurfaced to the correct step height.

I'd be surprised if a dealership would even let you bring in outside parts (flywheel included). Most shops, not just dealerships, won't let you.

Well after a month it is finally done. After waiting for them to get parts for two weeks they found out the stock clutch disc is discontinued..... So I go to use the Southbend setup. The pressure plate wasn't stock and I assume neither was the clutch disc. The southbend PP is way softer, definitely more stock. Who ever did this job didnt have the tranny straight on the engine. Therefore unnecessary pressures were happening and the center of the clutch disc sheared away from the friction disc ( Pic 1 & 2)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The mechanic says the old pressure plate is almost new, what do you think (4,6,7,8)?

Also, any ideas on what company or brand? Nothing on the PP except torquing instructions and the number in pic 5 (C47735)
Googled to no avail.

Also, the flywheel is a mirror now (Pic 3).

Mitsu dealer also sucks ($104/hr labor) and not sure why it took two weeks to find out a part is discontinued...

Oh and tried to charge me for the discontinued clutch disc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back