The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G tranny feels like its stuck in drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanspears1

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2004
Prestonsburg, Kentucky
Hey,
I just got my car running after 2+ yrs. of setting, and when I took it out for the first oad test, I put it in reverse, it works fine, no problems. I get backed up, put it in drive, give it gas, it just sets until it hits around 14 pounds of boost, and 5k... so the next thing I do is stop, and try it with it in the 2 setting, and low setting...same thing. Once the car gets going, it runs really slow like it is in 3rd or 4th gear. The reason I think its stuck in a high gear, is because it is not shifting at all, and once I get it up to like 50mph or so, it starts going, and sounding like it is supposed, and has reasonable acceleration. Has anyone had this problem, or can help me figure it ou... it has me confused:confused: oh, btw it is an auto if you could not figure it out haha
Thanks,
Evan

Do a search on "LIMP MODE" and it should point you to the right direction. Sounds like that is what your tranny is doing.

ok, after searching "limp mode" and searching all of the 57 posts, I came up with nothing to help:notgood: all I read, was just people discussing what it is like to have a car in limp mode... Can anyone direct me to a list of things to check or a vfaq to try and diagnose this or anything like that really??? Like I said, it took me nearly 1.5 hours of reading, but I read all of the posts, and nothing to help me...
Evan

It does sound like limp mode. You will have 2nd and reverse, and nothing else. Did you have to remove the tranny at all? If so check your plugs and make sure they are not reversed at all ( the wires going into the plug will be the same color for the corresponding plug). Any CEL?
Mike

No, I havent removed the tranny, have never done anything to it, there is no check engine light or anything... I doubt i could have the plugs switched on the tcu, because 1) I have never had a reason to do anything to it, 2) I dont really know where it is... is it possible that the caps can go bad in the tcu, cause it to fail, but not throw a cel, because part of bringin my car back to life was having steve replace the caps in the ecu...

The TCU was the next thing I would suggest. If it is the same as the "92, all you have to do is remove the drivers side kick panel, and it wuld be located behind the ECU but will be sitting horizontal all the way to the front of the console. When mine went into limp mode, it turned out to be one of the solonoid wires was broke so I would suggest checking everything.
Mike

I am not well versed with the subject matter but I remember reading somewhere about retrieving TCU codes. If you have access to a tranny shop then maybe they could scan the TCU for you. Maybe the TCU is on its way out or leaked caps like you suggested. Goodluck.

it will be a few days before I can check on the TCU, I am at my moms house, but my car is at my dads, so, it'll be a little bit before I can check, is there anything else you or anyone else can think of that I can check or field test to try and find my problem.

I'm thinking that the TCU is bad, but from everything I have read, it should be throwing a CEL, and I know at least the light works, because as soon as I turn the key it turns on, and before I got the motor running right, it was on, so I dunno

I ended up pretty much checking EVERYTHING that I found ont the search for limp mode. Took quite a long time, but did finally solve the problem.
Mike

I've just replaced the caps from a 1991 GSX TCU, one had leaked but it was possible to recover the TCU. Using a LED at the aldl self-diagnosis, there were no codes at all, the LED didn't even turn on.

After the repair, it came back to normal operation (i think so), and the code as the stock one, quickly blinking like 1-1-1-1-. After riding 2 times, the code is like 1-1-1-1-... but very fast... does anyone know what that is?

PS: The car is in limp mode, identically as described by the topic owner.

I would contact Steve, he should know, He is trying to fix mine right now as I had electrolyte damage on mine, but he said something about it kept resetting itself, so I dunno, but I would definetely ask Steve

Mine is doing the same thing. I hooked up a 12v LED and it just blinking rapidly, which I guess indicates that all is ok. The car drove fine all last week and now its stuck in gear.

Pull the TCU, they were made with the same caps as the ECU that is faulty. Mine was leaking, I had it rebuilt, my friend wasn't so lucky, he had a big hole in the board!

Once you can rule the TCU is good and it is getting power and all connections are correct it only gets easier from there!

I actually ran into someone today that said they used to have a auto awd. We got to shooting the shit and he mentioned that he had a spare TCU that he was trying to sell. Came to find out it was sitting on his passenger side floor of his car, popped it in and all is good. I see no cap leakage or anything on mines though, which is whats weird. Im just happy that its fixed and that he gave it to me for FREE!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back