The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Tranny Failure pics (IMG Heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leet

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2003
Atwater, California
Well I took my transmission off this weekend and out of curiousity, pulled it apart to see why it died. Turns out a bearing on the center shaft (I do not know the "technical" name for it, it is the one the Center Diff is on) disintegrated, scarring up part of the tranny. It also threw chunks of metal everywhere, damaging all the gears. Here are some pics, see if you can find the scars cut through the housing by the gear :)

Attachments

• transmcase.jpg
    transmcase.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 880
Here is a pic with the end plate off. You can see the destroyed bearing.

Attachments

• failedbearing3.jpg
    failedbearing3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 877
This is what is left of the bearing:

Attachments

• failedbearing4.jpg
    failedbearing4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 869
Here is where the bearing chewed away at the inside of the transmission:

Attachments

• innercase.jpg
    innercase.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 867
Last Pic. This is just an overall picture of the inside of the transmission. You can see the metal that is everywhere, and the shaft where the destroyed bearing was. Time for a TRE Tranny!

Attachments

• metaleverywhere.jpg
    metaleverywhere.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 867
Yowch! That sucks, dude :( At least you don't seem to down about it, and you sound optimistic also :thumb:

Originally posted by leet
Time for a TRE Tranny!

I have been expecting this to happen since I have owned the car. I will simply replace it with a unit that is stronger :thumb:

That is EXACTLY what happend to my trans.

Damn dude.. this sucks.. At least we now know what that sound was. Bad way to find out though. :thumb: Time for something better! LOL TRE here you come!

Hehe, I am just glad it broke AFTER you left for Florida Travis :p

Holy crap man, what a mess!

See I leave dude and shit breaks! LOL Good thing it didnt happen when I was driving it. ;)

Damn 28PSI?? Hola shit theres nothing left. Remind me to never do that. :shhh:

What's this "I" pulled the Tranny stuff???? hmmmmm? LOL I'll remember this Son!!! Seriously I have enjoyed reading these posts they are very informative. COMING SOON!!! DSMDAD.com :dsm:

^ He helped, but he's a cranky old man :p

Originally posted by DSMDAD
What's this "I" pulled the Tranny stuff???? hmmmmm? LOL I'll remember this Son!!! Seriously I have enjoyed reading these posts they are very informative. COMING SOON!!! DSMDAD.com :dsm:

What you need to do is get your own car and kick your son's ass at the track.

Thats why my dad did. He did a Nitrous Maxima and went 12.1 @ 110mph.. :mad:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hehe, he doesn't have enough money....

Then again, I have NO money. :p

Thanks for the idea. I have been eyeing an EVO............then I woke up.......HA!:dsm:

Originally posted by leet
This is what is left of the bearing:

well, there's your problem, you shouldn't have had that screw driver and wrench in the tranny to begin with :D

Mr. D vs Mike? LOL I'd pay to see that. But I dunno who I'd root for...

You could always trick out Holly's Camry or Mrs D's Tracker! :D :thumb:

Leet,

Where you able to use your tranny as a core? or was it simply garbage? In the event of they tranny failing on you, what exactly happened? Where you doing a WOT pull and suddenly heard metal exploding, crunching, grinding etc?

civic619 said:
Leet,

Where you able to use your tranny as a core? or was it simply garbage? In the event of they tranny failing on you, what exactly happened? Where you doing a WOT pull and suddenly heard metal exploding, crunching, grinding etc?

Wow, OLD thread! ROFL

Anyways, I wasn't able to use it as a core, the casing was destroyed. Cracks running through it, it was VERY stressed.

I was coming home from work doing about 40 and it let go. Lost all lubrication immediately, it felt like I hit a brick wall. Clutched in and pulled over. I wasn't at WOT.

I believe the transmission had been ready to fail for the week before, now that I think about it. There really wasn't any noise when it failed, it just simply locked up. I'm glad I was going at a moderately slow speed, that would have SUCKED if it locked up on a freeway.

Shane, I guess you didn't see the thread date :p but yes I went with a TRE transmission. I like it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back