The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

tranny difference between 1.8 and 2.0 fwd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastdsm1

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2002
springfield_massachusetts
today I came accross a automatic tranny for free.....First I should say that I have a 93 talon 2.0 FWD NT AT with a blown tranny.My question is...Can I install a fwd automatic tranny that came off a 90 or 91 eclipse with a 1.8? I placed the tranny side by side the other and they seem somewhat the same.

Ah, your out of my realm. I went through 20+search pages and yeilded only a couple results and that was the best one. You already have it dropped and ready, you can try bolting it up and swapping the TCU's.. I'm not sure if its just a pin difference, or what..

Check the transmission designations that are stamped on the rear of the unit. Look for something like KM-175, or S-Km175, or F4A22, etc. If the designations are the same, then most likely the gear ratios will be as well. As far as the wiring goes, both units should have a pulse generator on the overdrive clutch housing (all the way on the back facing the passenger wheel well) or both should not have one there. If one has the sensor there and the other not, you will have to make mods to get it to work but its possible, Ive done it. As far as the TCU, as long as the wires match up to the unit, the TCU will operate it but keep in mind that the 1.8 program is different than the 2.0 program, so the unit will behave differently with the added horsepower of the 2.0 engine. I am battling this very thing in my galant after going from a 2.0 to a 2.4.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back