The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

trading for a 2g that has problems...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsomeTUNER

Probationary Member
Mar 3, 2014
lakeport, California
Hello im new to eclipses BUT not new to cars. Looking to trade my honda prelude for a 97 eclipse GSX that has a couple of problems(like the title says). First off the seller has been really straight forward with me as I keep asking him questions he has given me straight answers as far as I can tell at least. My car isn't perfect either and he knows whats going on as do I know with his. SO here it goes...

His 97 gsx isn't running and from what he told me his mechanic said it was the head, I guess his buddy ran it to hard and bent the valves or some crap. Compression is still really good in it but the head needs to be replaced. He has another head for it and its out of a GST? From some google searches and what I know of these cars that is the FWD turbo version. Would that head even work? would I also need to modify anything to make it work or is it a simple swap?

Im thinking of doing this trade but don't want to get involved in a huge mess. If the compression is good on the motor and its just the head do you think trading would be a good idea? My car isn't the best but it has potential just like his UN-molested 3g. just looking for opinions and comments. TIA!

Hello im new to eclipses BUT not new to cars. Looking to trade my honda prelude for a 97 eclipse GSX that has a couple of problems(like the title says). First off the seller has been really straight forward with me as I keep asking him questions he has given me straight answers as far as I can tell at least. My car isn't perfect either and he knows whats going on as do I know with his. SO here it goes...

His 97 gsx isn't running and from what he told me his mechanic said it was the head, I guess his buddy ran it to hard and bent the valves or some crap. Compression is still really good in it but the head needs to be replaced. He has another head for it and its out of a GST? From some google searches and what I know of these cars that is the FWD turbo version. Would that head even work? would I also need to modify anything to make it work or is it a simple swap?

Im thinking of doing this trade but don't want to get involved in a huge mess. If the compression is good on the motor and its just the head do you think trading would be a good idea? My car isn't the best but it has potential just like his UN-molested 3g. just looking for opinions and comments. TIA!
First of all, welcome.

The head swap would be straight up with no modifications, the heads are identical. If compression is good (you can trust him on it) and you can invest in the rebuild of the head, pull the trigger. Swapping the head is pretty easy and painless, just gets a bit tight wrenching on the timing side of these motors. Do the trade for his 2G. A DSM in hand is worth two hondas in the bush. Or something like that.

First of all, welcome.

The head swap would be straight up with no modifications, the heads are identical. If compression is good (you can trust him on it) and you can invest in the rebuild of the head, pull the trigger. Swapping the head is pretty easy and painless, just gets a bit tight wrenching on the timing side of these motors. Do the trade for his 2G. A DSM in hand is worth two hondas in the bush. Or something like that.

Thanks for the welcome! I do hope i get this 2g...Im over wrenching on my honda...

Thats what I needed to know!! He has another head to go with it BUT I didnt wanna get it if the gst head didnt work for it. If the compression checks out im all over it. This 2g is UN-molested and is in great condition hence me wanting it so badly... So once im balls deep into this head swap would you or anyone wanna suggest a good kit? I guess while im in there.... Thanks again.

He'd would have zero compression if valves are possibly bent or similar. Can see a burnt valve reducing compression.

Either way, that head is a candidate for a total rebuild.

Got a lot of green to play with?

Preludes were good cars from Honda - fun to drive and pretty peppy. If built right, they can be some serious screamers..

The heads will swap easily if it's a 7 bolt head from a 92.5 and up car. But if the valves are bent than he shouldn't get gettin a compression reading.

If i were you I would have him sign something the car will run with the head, if not then it could have drive train damage since you cant test drive it. check for rust as well.
If its a 2g head it would easily swap on, you could do it yourself with the VFAQ.

Hey man you're going to have fun. I came over from Honda crowd on a GSR. I really like these DSMs. Always loved the body style, but didn't have a clue as how to how they performed. I picked up a 1998 GSX a few weeks ago and well.. I'm pretty happy. :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back