The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

TPS problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420aStonerBlock

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2006
Littleton, Colorado
Hey guys i think i may have a problem with my TPS. I just got a Innova 3130 scan tool and when i dont have my foot on the gas (idle or car off) the TPS reading is 12.5 now judging on the threads i have read that is fairly good? Right? So i am not concerned about that, that much. Its when i have it floored with the pedal OR directly opening the Throttle body all the way it only reads 75.6%! I plugged it into my silverado, and my dads 99 GSX and idle is 0% and WOT is 100% so is there somthing wrong with my tps or what? Oh yea and its not my cable because i took it off and did it by hand and it still did the same thing. Also the throttle blade does open all the way when it is a WOT but still reads 75.6. Thanks guys.

Don't bump threads...

It seems as though your TPS is bad. It's a relatively common problem. Just replace the sensor.

Hey guys i think i may have a problem with my TPS. I just got a Innova 3130 scan tool and when i dont have my foot on the gas (idle or car off) the TPS reading is 12.5 now judging on the threads i have read that is fairly good? Right? So i am not concerned about that, that much. Its when i have it floored with the pedal OR directly opening the Throttle body all the way it only reads 75.6%! I plugged it into my silverado, and my dads 99 GSX and idle is 0% and WOT is 100% so is there somthing wrong with my tps or what? Oh yea and its not my cable because i took it off and did it by hand and it still did the same thing. Also the throttle blade does open all the way when it is a WOT but still reads 75.6. Thanks guys.

I may have missed something but why would 12.5% throttle at idle or off be good? The throttle should be closed at idle, all air intake is controlled by the idle air control motor which bypasses the throttle plate. Are you throwing a code for a TPS malfunction or is there any drivability problems? If neither of the latter two are happening, I wouldn't change anything.

I have read that our TPS is calibrated differently. At wide open throttle it only sends something like 3.8v while most other vehicle send 5v. Since your scan tool is universal it is looking for the 5v to be WOT. Same thing happen to me with a 7-8 thousand dollar scanner. Around 12% at idle and 76% max throttle.

I have read that our TPS is calibrated differently. At wide open throttle it only sends something like 3.8v while most other vehicle send 5v. Since your scan tool is universal it is looking for the 5v to be WOT. Same thing happen to me with a 7-8 thousand dollar scanner. Around 12% at idle and 76% max throttle.

Yeah, it outputs approximately 0.40V at 0% throttle and 3.80V at 100% throttle... good call, that sounds like the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back