The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Toyotool's ValveMaster - Valve Spring Retainer/Keeper Remover/Installer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here you go guys this is a great tool!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I needed a way to remove my valve springs/retainers to get down to the valve spring seats. I will admit I fudged up when I originally put my head together. I acquired a brand spanking factory new head when I bought this car and low a behold when a new head comes from the factory the valve spring seats do not come with it. Any way being my first build I did not know that that part even existed. I assembled the head with an old fashioned valve spring compressor and slapped it on the car. Needless to say I have been wondering why my head has been so loud for the last 8000 miles. For some reason I read through the VFAQ on replacing valve stem seals and it mentioned the valve spring seat and it's purpose. At that moment I said "HOLY CRAP!! I didn't put those on from the old head!!"

So, the search began for a tool that I could use to disassemble the head with it still on the car. I knew I could put some rope into the cylinder to keep the valves from moving (BTW, It's a pain in the ass!). So that part was covered. Now for a tool to compress the springs. I came across ToyoTool.com. I watched their videos and decided "THAT'S IT!!!" That is the ticket to an easy life.

I ordered it. It was shipped out the same day and I received it two days later. The next day I started the daunting task of installing valve spring seats. The tool works like this. It's a two part tool, one end has a magnet installed in it so when you push down on the retainer it pops out the keepers and it all sticks to the magnet. The other side is the installer side. Place the keepers inside the retainer, place the retainer w/keepers on top of the valve and push down. It has a tip that pushes the retainer down and puts the keepers in their place. IT WORKS GREAT. The only thing it takes is a little bit of muscle. I did 3/4 of them my myself and and the others I needed some help pushing down on the tool. My hands still hurt. Removal is the easiest part. But, the installation is easier with two people to push down on the tool. Trust me. All in all it's a great tool and it was $85 shipped.

I will post some pictures of me using it in a couple days. As for now I encourage anyone that needs a tool like this to check out their website ToyoTool.com for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back