1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Toyota to start producing parts for supras

Posted by red_devil, Jan 9, 2020

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. red_devil

red_devil Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Richmond, Virginia

2K  9

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  2. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    They need to worry about making money from what I can tell... because their presence has been on the outs for a LONG time. Not to say that they couldn't make some money on repop parts, but they really should focus their engineering efforts on bringing a car to market that people will actually WANT to buy.

Mitsubishi Motorway in Normal, IL was recently renamed Rivian Motorway :)cry: this is literally where I learned to tune my car using link). I actually applied for an engineering job at Rivian because I was curious about the old plant and what DSM artifacts might still exist, but I didn't make it past the phone interview.

Street Build 298  5

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 225  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  9

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Kryndon likes this.
  3. Salty-Seagull

Salty-Seagull Probationary Member

Joined Jul 16, 2019
    Kimball, Michigan
    I was just talking about Nissan doing this with the Skyline the other day. Sounds like Mazda is getting on the bandwagon too!

I am not holding my breath that Mitsubishi will make new DSM parts though, but it sure would be nice because some of these parts are pretty darn hard to find these days.

As for Mitsubishi's viability, on their website they claim to be the fastest-growing Asian brand in the U.S. for the second consecutive year: https://media.mitsubishicars.com/channels/Sales

Plus they just moved their headquarters to Franklin, TN, so I would be shocked if they didn't stick around for a while.

Street Build 208  1

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  4. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    When it comes to smaller parts, the real cost comes from the tooling required for manufacturing said parts. But given that these are old parts which have been made before, it would be a matter of dusting off the old tooling and churning out a few thousand parts to have a nice stockpile of. However, we have no idea whether Mitsubishi kept all the old tools for many of the in-house made parts. Especially with DSMs, many of the non-engine related parts were made by US-based manufacturers. Like, the only things actually made in Japan by Mitsubishi and installed onto our cars were the 4G6 engines and the F5/W5 transmissions and drivetrain. Almost everything else was made by outsourced companies, which means that, 20 years later, Mitsubishi wont be able to get those parts out again unless they manufacture entirely new tooling for all the non-Mitsu parts and start churning them out themselves.

Street Build 3K  9

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    rabenne likes this.
  5. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    There has already been a thread made where we list what DSM parts we need. But nothing serious went on there. We need to make a thread where all the freelancers and fabricators can contribute, and in this thread we need to make a checklist of parts that are no longer produced but are needed. If we could even get, say, one person per part, we could have them all made.

Just a thought I figured I'd throw out there, I do strongly believe this could work if we all put our knowledge and effort into it.

Road Race Build 2K  23

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

496  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

388  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
    Salty-Seagull likes this.
  6. 91talonts1

91talonts1 Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2008
    Spencer, North Carolina
    It would be awesome but I don't think this will ever happen with Mitsubishi unfortunately. Nissan owns like a third of Mitsubishi motors now. Mitsubishi seems to be more focused on their other ventures than the Motors division these days.

Drag Race Build 3K  15

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. Jon Lane

Jon Lane Proven Member

Joined May 1, 2004
    SW, Florida
    Lack of support is ironic for the 4G63t/4B11t and DSM because that combination would also make a low cost Porsche Cayman and Boxster-beater virtually off the shelf. The transverse four drive package could drop behind the seats in the short fender, long quarter panel body Eclipse and Talon.