The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 Towing vehicle without head on? Don't want block to get junk in it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I live off of a very dusty dirt road and I plan to do some work on my GVR4 at my new home which is just a mile away.

I am going to have the vehicle towed.

I can try newspaper or the like over the head opening to protect the ports, cylinders, ports etc. I figure that tape will just fly off the dirty/greasy block though giving me a false sense of security.

Any ideas?

Same thing is happening with my Focus SVT...head isn't on it either. I am just going to post here on that since the community there isn't as strong and they will probably just get in the weeds with the question.

Thanks.

Thanks!

Plastic wrap and a couple of big rubberbands around the top of the block to keep it on, or just set the head back on with a few bolts.

I towed a mirage from Delaware to Colorado with no cylinder head on it. Just cleaned accordingly and the car ran just fine. We low 11’s at over 140mph with that engine

Stuff blue paper towels or rags in the ports. Just remember to remove them before you put the manifolds on!!! Lol

Did this once on my Mazda 2.5 klde... motor was very unhappy after I reassembled (in a huge hurry) and it started trying to ingest paper towel. In my panic I couldn't figure out the problem till is started seeing bits of blue shop towels coming from the tail pipe :ohdamn::ohdamn:

OP I agree with stuffing the cylinders with rags and throwing some tape over the head surface, though the bag and rope/rubber bands are a nice idea that's far quicker too. You're not going far so I don't think you'll have much to worry about, just clean things good before reassembly and you'll be alright.

Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards high quality duct tape. I did cling wrap already and tried to throw the old head on (Focus SVT) but it wasn't going down all the way. I figured it wasn't worth the fight in such an important area. Industrial shrink wrap is in place but old head bolts are too long. Might try to hunt down some m10x1.5 bolts that are shorter and leave that cling wrap in place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back