The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Torque steer help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bestwestranger

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2003
Cotter, Arkansas
Hey all! Just bought a 91 Eclipse GS. Paid $2000 for this thing with just over 100k miles. Don't know why I waited so long to buy a import hot rod, this thing rocks! Anyway, it has some monster torque steer as I am sure you all know. Is there anything other than a new dif that can help this situation? My last fwd just spun that tire with minimal t.s., so the problem was a non-issue.

Originally posted by Bestwestranger
How will axles change anything?

Thicker/stronger axles do not twist as much, thus reducing torque steer. Torque steer is mostly caused by one axle twisting more than the other while accelerating.

Originally posted by a351must2

Thicker/stronger axles do not twist as much, thus reducing torque steer. Torque steer is mostly caused by one axle twisting more than the other while accelerating.

No... Torque steer occures because of one tire spinning faster than the other. If you put a "true" LSD in the tranny so power is transfered 50/50 to the front tires and keep the same axles, you will not have torque steer, probably just wheel hop.

Originally posted by a351must2

:barf: Axle twist?!!! I may be a newbie to DSM, but I am most definatly not a newbie to cars! If that were true, and if they twisted that bad, they would either snap or spring back in such a quick action that you wouldn't notice. I am gonna go with the dumaflatchy thingy (the name escapes me at the moment) that goes in the dif.

Phantom grip makes inserts for lots of front wheel drive cars. I'm not sure if they do for dsm's, but I'd be real suprised if they didn't.

I followed the link to bm tranny and all I saw was VCE, I don't know if this was a mistake. VCE's are for AWD only, they elimanate the viscous coupler so you can dyno your AWD as FWD.

Originally posted by 90AWDTalon
I followed the link to bm tranny and all I saw was VCE, I don't know if this was a mistake. VCE's are for AWD only, they elimanate the viscous coupler so you can dyno your AWD as FWD.

Scroll down on that page. Here is a pic of the LSD.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Originally posted by gs-t_96
I thought torque steer was caused by one axle being longer than the other.

there ya go . witch is why i said in my first post .. AWD axels are equal length

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back