The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Torque converter not meeting flex plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidmet

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2012
Aurora, Colorado
2g auto tranny, 6 bolt engine. Kiggly kit used and installed correctly (double checked with kiggly with pics). My flex plate bolts were too long so I have cut them, but my torque converter doesn't slide out the 1/8-1/4 inch that it needs to meet the flex plate. I'm thinking about pulling the passenger motor mount to try to use gravity to get it to slide out. I tried a pry tool but my torque converter isn't moving. Thoughts?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
The flexplate looks like it was installed backwards. Flip it and the windmill arm will ramp towards the pads vs away.

The flexplate looks like it was installed backwards. Flip it and the windmill arm will ramp towards the pads vs away.

It's not installed backwards. Besides having pictures sent to kiggly to make sure i had it right, the original issue that has brought this to my attention is the starter not making contact with the torque converter.

It "should" just slide out of the front pump a little so that the converter can meet up with the kiggly plate pads. Usually, its the other way around and people don't have the converter indexed properly and the plate is TOUCHING the converter and won't slide in any further. Try to pry from 2 sides at the same time, if possible.

It "should" just slide out of the front pump a little so that the converter can meet up with the kiggly plate pads. Usually, its the other way around and people don't have the converter indexed properly and the plate is TOUCHING the converter and won't slide in any further. Try to pry from 2 sides at the same time, if possible.

Thanks, I'll try that. I tried a little but really didn't have too much time. Its sounding more and more like another engine pull. I'm not too excited about that. If so, I may just get a different converter.

It has to slide into the pilot bushing so it has to be perfectly straight, remember.

I assume this is why I'm having trouble getting it to come out that 1/4 inch. I'm going to try some airbags behind it.
ROFLROFLROFL,well that's one solution I hadn't thought of. The pilot bushing does taper so as long as the snout of the converter was in good shape, it should just slide in, as you need it too and it is being a PITA, because it wants to. I hope you figure out W T F is holding it up and let us know! :thumb:

For anyone following. Fairly confident i was sold a 1g converter. Shame on me for not checking. Bought a precision restall and i think it should fix all my issues. Now to reinstall.

ROFLROFLROFL,well that's one solution I hadn't thought of. The pilot bushing does taper so as long as the snout of the converter was in good shape, it should just slide in, as you need it too and it is being a PITA, because it wants to. I hope you figure out W T F is holding it up and let us know! :thumb:

Thanks for following up the thread with a conclusion. I love to see threads from start to finish so we can all benefit from it!!!
Pops

Was your 1g unit a stall or stock converter since I am a 1g auto. Had to inquire. :)

Was your 1g unit a stall or stock converter since I am a 1g auto. Had to inquire. :)
Talked to IPT and they said they'd have to look at it, but they did say they used to etch IPT and customers names into their converters if they were going on the shelf. So incant be 100% sure but there's certainly a good chance it's an IPT restall. The question is do I send it to them to confirm?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back