1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Torque Converter Failures....Why?

Posted by SasaniFab, Sep 12, 2019

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    I would be going on my 3rd Sinister mike spoolinator torque converter. Im still at a loss as to why this keeps happening to me. The first failure started the same way, In park and neutral the transmission is quiet as can be but in drive and reverse it whines like a power steering pump without fluid. The symptoms of the last Failure started after I launched the car at the track and was driving back. I pulled the converter out yesterday as well as the pump. The pump looks great as with everything less. Jeff bush convinced me to go with a #8 Precision spragueless type converter. I dont want to ruin another one. Any idea?

Street Build 3K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    645 whp · 498 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  2. enriquez2000

enriquez2000 Proven Member

Joined Oct 5, 2014
    fort collins, Colorado
    Question.. do you have the bushing in your crank for the auto trans?

Just curious as i went through 3 converters and finally just splurged for a fully built ipt trans

Street Build 2K  8

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM