The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Torn down to be brought back up...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fayt

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 26, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
So my plans have slightly changed yet again.

After realizing how much a motor buildup actually costs, I've decided on getting the car on the road all stock, beefing up the suspension, then building a new motor up over the summer. On that note, I bought two parts I needed to get her on the road; an ECU and a 2g MAF.

The head is going to be dropped off at a local engineering shop (Gellners) around the corner from me. Heard good things about them from two people, and they are quick about it too! The head, I fear, has ####ed up valve seals. Before she sat, I was burning oil from somewhere... I believe either the valve stem seals, or piston rings. So, after my head is checked, I will replace the piston rings regardless.

Oh, and since the block is out and torn apart, I might as well do the balance shaft eliminator too.

So, two parts down, multiple more to go -.- It's sad to see the state I've put her in, but I will get her driving again...

Oh yea, anybody know what this seal is for?
IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

I have them on both sides. The seal says "Guarantee Void if removed." I'm just curious what it is covering,

Those seals are heat sensitive so say you over heat the motor and blow it. You can't bring it back to where it was built and tell them they built a bad motor because they'll know it was over heated.

sneaky sneaky:ninja:

-Frank

Oohhhhh alright. Would you say my block is in good condition then if those seals are still intact? I was going to replace the piston rings incase I was burning oil from there. Thing is, I bought the motor with a 2 yr/20000 mile warranty right? Well, I've put maybe 1-2k miles on the motor since then... not sure if I need to. Then again, I already have it down this far, how much harder is doing the rings too, ya know?

Gellner engineering? On Brook park rd? What is this a 1g or 2g? Got any pics of the car looking for some local to meet with. Im right in Brook Park

Yea I've thought about it, I'm just going to get the head checked out to make sure it is straight and the seals are alright, then its going back on. The block has a warranty for another 17k miles at least, even though its been more than 2 years. So, if the company was so sure of this block I'll take their word for it and not waste the money when I don't need to.

And your right slowgsr... you don't just replace rings ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back