The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

top mount holset?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sexystover

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2008
allentown, New_Jersey
searched and couldnt find any results, anyone Fabd a top mount manifold for a holset or similar frame/size turbo? is there room to run a turbo that size on a top mount?

Holset turbos use a T3 or T4 flange just like nearly every turbo in that size range. So its the same concept whether it's a top-mount Garrett, PTE, or Holset.

Holset turbos use a T3 or T4 flange just like nearly every turbo in that size range. So its the same concept whether it's a top-mount Garrett, PTE, or Holset.

yea i knew they used a t3 flange , ive run an hx35 on a normal tubular ebay manifold i modified :D, but i know the holset housings often times have fitment issues due to their size that other turbos dont. wondering if there is actually enough room to do it and if anyone has and has pictures or tips

lets do it on mine as soon as i find a damn head

custom built manifold?

what kind of spool do you see?

do you like it or would you recommend going with a typical bottom mount style?

custom built manifold?

what kind of spool do you see?

do you like it or would you recommend going with a typical bottom mount style?

This is the first manifold I made myself. Its T3 with the bullseye housing.

I was seeing 25psi by around ~5500-6000. I'd have to look a log to actually be certain.

I like the top mount style manifolds, mainly for the ease of access to the turbo.

Im having JMF make me a T4 divided topmount and I wil be running a Holset HX40 with a 19cm hotside. I talked to them and they said their top mount manifold will fit up to a gt42 if I'm not mistaken.

awesome thanks for the info guys, im going to use my spare 7 bolt as a mock up and hopefully fab something up for my hx35 this summer

awesome thanks for the info guys, im going to use my spare 7 bolt as a mock up and hopefully fab something up for my hx35 this summer

if you need any pipe for your manifold send me a pm, I bought a ton of mandrel bends and pipe because a friend was gonna build me a manifold. ut we had a falling out. It's sch40 stainless and I have enough to build a top mount setup and have all the flanges.

If you are planning on using a factory turbine housing with the internal gate you may have fitment issues with most top mounts. The 5 bolt outlet and flapper arm bits that stick out will tend to run into runner #3.

A BEP or Turbolab T3 housing will work, but a top mount and T3 frame turbo don't always make the most sense from a performance/results or cost standpoint. A well sorted bottom mount will have no problem supporting the power and cost a decent amount less- especially as a package. The (in general) longer runner lengths of a top mount will increase volume but are unlikely to be truly taken advantage of at high rpm where a large frame T4 turbo would live- possibly just hurting response for the useable rpm range. Bottom mounts seem to be overshadowed but shouldn't be overlooked for a potent setup.

Bottom mount can also open up the possibility of a small runner manifold, which would be a great match for a 60lb/min turbo.

If you are planning on using a factory turbine housing with the internal gate you may have fitment issues with most top mounts. The 5 bolt outlet and flapper arm bits that stick out will tend to run into runner #3.

A BEP or Turbolab T3 housing will work, but a top mount and T3 frame turbo don't always make the most sense from a performance/results or cost standpoint. A well sorted bottom mount will have no problem supporting the power and cost a decent amount less- especially as a package. The (in general) longer runner lengths of a top mount will increase volume but are unlikely to be truly taken advantage of at high rpm where a large frame T4 turbo would live- possibly just hurting response for the useable rpm range. Bottom mounts seem to be overshadowed but shouldn't be overlooked for a potent setup.

Bottom mount can also open up the possibility of a small runner manifold, which would be a great match for a 60lb/min turbo.
Thanks for the reply , currently looking at turbo upgrades, really wanted a top mount for easy access to turbo plus love the looks on the engine bay , was thinking holset since they’re relatively cheap and available. Any other turbo that you’d recommend that flows similar and wont make too much of a dent ?

Actually ive gone through the forums, looks like its pretty useless to run a top mount unless you have a much bigger turbo than a 50-60 trim. Plus most likely will need to relocate alternator and get new piping which will be annoying all while losing performance. Bottom mount it is *sigh*

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back