The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Top Gear America!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllShallPerish

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 29, 2010
St Augustine, Florida
I am excited for this. I just saw a commercial for the first episode. They are gonna race skiers down a mountain in a EVO X!

This looks so sweet, I cant wait. I just hope these guys are as good as jeremy clarkson and Richard Hammond.

I cant find the commercial, But i did find a peak at some lambos. :rocks:

I have mixed feelings about them bringing Top Gear to America. They'll definitely have some amazing rides featured, but the British cynical sarcasm will be missing, which is what makes half the show!
I can see them replacing it with goofy slapstick :| kind of humor, which would ruin it.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and the hosts will be like the quirky guys on Mythbusters.

From what I've seen of the hosts, I think they will be greatly lacking. To be completely honest, I'm afraid to even watch, for fear of massive disappointment.

I'm a huge fan of the British Top Gear. But half of the show is all about Jeremy, Richard, and James. You get the impression that they're old friends. They make the show. Top Gear US has big shoes to fill.

Top Gear UK is on the BBC, which is a publicly funded broadcaster, therefore they aren't reliant on advertising money from the auto manufacturers to fund the show. This gives them leeway to speak frankly about new cars and sometimes flat-out call them RUBBISH ROFL

I hope since the History channel is picking this up, that the hosts aren't forced to say nice things about crappy cars because they know where they're paycheck is coming from.

From what I've seen of Top Gear US so far, the hosts are nothing like their British counterparts.

I agree, the hosts have some large shoes to fill. I see Tanner Foust is in the lineup, so I'm sure he will push the cars to the limits. I had no clue about the US version until now. I will have to mark my calender.

Hopefully its good.
It will never as good as the original version, but it is a car show. So I will watch it without a doubt.

Tanner will be a boring monotone and just drift around stuff. Rutledge, don't know anything about him other than I saw him do an annoying Nascar skit a few years ago. Hopefully he's not just another stereotypical fat Nascar fan that doesn't know anything throwing out BS tech comments like the rest of the Nascar announcers. And I never heard of the other guy.

I'll still watch, but it's no replacement. Hopefully they do cool car reviews and have the great cinematography of the BBC version. But I don't know about a bunch of funny challenges, especially if it feels pushed because of lack of chemistry.

The things I'm afraid of:
-Limited cool cars in the US
-Will they travel or just stay in the states?
-Too much annoying drifting
-Tanner will be as boring as he is on all of his other shows

I dont like the fact that the original crew isn't there.. thats the whole point behind the show, yeah the rare cars they drive are nice but id rather watch the original then watch a bunch of noobs try and act like the UK one.. ooh hell ill still watch it here LOL.. setting tivo now

There's no doubt, you can get videos of fast cars going fast anywhere, so it's the hosts that will make or break the program.

Their backgrounds don't provide much faith either: one's a stunt driver, one's an actor, and the other is a NASCAR announcer.

Lame combination in my opinion.

And look how young the hosts are compared to their British counterparts. Their commentary is going to be reflected by their age. Probably going to be filled with cheesy one liners and empty dialogue.

Who knows though, maybe we'll all be surprised and it will be interesting and a different spin on the whole concept.

Ok guys, tonight is the night...

Its on at 9/8 c on History channel...

i'm recording it, but to be hoenst my expectations are low. I fear it will remind me of watching a sequel to a good movie where the actors change but the storyline is somewhat the same... think of starship troopers vs starship troopers 2.

This ... sucks. All the fun, playfulness, everything that makes Top Gear UK what it is ... is not there in this show.

It's absolutely horrible...

And it's getting shredded on Facebook, LOL...

Boy,You guys are stingy.... hahaha

I actually liked it. Sure they are not as funny as the biritsh counterparts, but i was cracking up a few times. I wonder if the stig is the same person, he looks really little in the show.

After all, this is a car show and i LOVE cars so...... l:thumb:

It's got a long way to go, but I think it was a great start! Watching the Stig take the ACR around the test track was awesome. The Cobra/Viper chase was a bit lame IMO. Way too put on. And that Adam guy seemed to pander to the audience a bit too much. Foust was much more tolerable than I've seen him in any other show.

Usually I don't watch the interview portion on the original Top Gear because I don't know who the guests are, but man did they seem to cut Buzz Aldrin off short. What a half assed interview.

I wasn't expecting the show to be such a direct copy of the original either. And I'm still not sure if that's good or bad. Some of the clips they had in the preview have them doing the same exact challenges as the original.

It was a nice send off for the Viper and Murcielago.

I am excited for this. I just saw a commercial for the first episode. They are gonna race skiers down a mountain in a EVO X!

This looks so sweet, I cant wait. I just hope these guys are as good as jeremy clarkson and Richard Hammond.

I cant find the commercial, But i did find a peak at some lambos. :rocks:

u mean like how hammond raced snow mobiles down a snowy mountain hill in a awd bmw?

top gear america is just going to be a cheezy take off of the real deal.....im not excited for it at all

Yea its a car sow so I like it, but the hosts of the show have nothing on the uk guys. The uk guys make it feel like they have known each other for ever and get away with doing stupid things. Idk it wasn't that bad but I doubt it will be as big as the original. They should just bring james richard to the US! And keep Tanner haha

I've been a fan of the original for years now, and I've gotta say that the US version is exactly what I expected. I have never liked Tanner Foust in any capacity in which I could hear him talk, and I have NO clue who the other guys are. You would think that in the good ol' USA we could have found a few legit gearheads to host the show...preferrably guys who had known each other prior to the show starting filming. Watching these three guys act like old friends is like watching divorced parents being forced to act civil for the sake of the kids....awkward and terrible.

Speaking of being able to source some gearheads here stateside, Buzz Aldrin? Really? Not Leno, Block, or the other 40 ka-jillion famous car guys we have, but Buzz friggin' Aldrin. Wow.

According to Jalopnik, it gets better after a few episodes, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm going to stick it out though the first season, if it hasnt improved by then, I still have the original. :thumb:

Trying to copy the original will never work. They should of tried going in another direction, not just find some no bodies and make them be like Jez, rich and james. Im sure they may have some good scenes now and then with the help of the budget but the hosts will ruin everything. What I would like to see is Jeremy making fun of this show, but its under the BBC so he wont.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back