The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Top 5 subs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well it depends on what you payed??? they are medium quality subs, and the box and most important, the amp.

Originally posted by TurkF26
and vertGST, it hit hard mostly do to the amp. Phoenix Gold amps are reallly really good quality.

yes i know
i will never sell my phoenix gold amps. even though its not worth it and they are the old school ones. I might just do another setup in my celica to put in my Spyder.:D

Attachments

• dsc00359.jpg
    dsc00359.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 305
no body mentioned diamond audio macdaddys or the new thx's we did 152db legal in street 1-2 no wall in an 1g eclipse gs that was with a pair of 12's and one usamps 400x. the old orion hccas were nice, image dynamics idqs and idmax if you could get them to hold together under serious power. as much as I hate jl there new w7 are very nice. eclipse stuff is way over priced but sounds good and does preform

Originally posted by sophat34
no body mentioned diamond audio macdaddys or the new thx's we did 152db legal in street 1-2 no wall in an 1g eclipse gs that was with a pair of 12's and one usamps 400x. the old orion hccas were nice, image dynamics idqs and idmax if you could get them to hold together under serious power. as much as I hate jl there new w7 are very nice. eclipse stuff is way over priced but sounds good and does preform
like i said on the last page i have two 10 CM3 i haven't heard them tho cuz my sealed box isn't finished yet...:(

I haven't personally heard all the subs listed on this post, but my solobaric L7 12s hit hard and low. I finally got them both wired up in the custom fiberglass boxes I made. They hit harder than any other speaker I've personally heard. I have running each solobaric L7 with its own RF punch power 500a2 amp. I have to keep my bass at -2 and the low setting on my eq at -2 just so I can stand listening to them.

Jester

It really depends on what your into SQ or SPL.That determines what kind of sub to buy.I see we have alot of audio guy's in here.I say not in any order IDQ's and ED's are 2 of my favorite subs.Adire Shiva,Brahma is also good,but require some mad power.

I've been reading this and nobody has mentioned DHD flat pistons. A friend of mine had 2 12's in his 92 beretta and had them hooked up to an Auora 6 channel amp only pushing 200 watts to each sub and he hit 145 db. He just recently bought a 2000w DHD amp and now i'm guessing hes hitting above 150 db. In my opinion these are great subs and pretty cheap you can buy a flat piston 12 for about 145 a piece.

Does Harman/Kardon make good quality speakers/subs/amps? I don't really know much about them, but there has to be a reason why BMW uses them....anyone?

i have an alpline type r 12" in a sealed box with an alpine 500.1 amp and it hits pretty nice.

i'd say JL, Kicker L7, Xtant, Eclipse, Memphis. I personally run a single JL Audio W7 12inch sub in my car. They cost a LOT, but i'd say its worth every cent. You dont just get an absolutely incredible speaker that can be used as a musical speaker(which is what it was made for originally), but you can compete with it in SPL or SPQ. When you go JL you get awesome customer support, not just a speaker. Sure there are speakers like MMats that are areally loud, if thats all youre doing. If you want quality AND loud at any volume, go JL. I'm not goin with any other speaker company ever again. People dont think that a single 12 can hit hard. So far i've done over 142 Db, thats only on 4 guage, but its not 4 at the amp, stock alternator, no second battery. I've pretty much got room to expand and have some things planned for spring, some upgrades. here's a photo so nobody calls me a liar

Attachments

• vot-eclipse-142.4db.jpg
    vot-eclipse-142.4db.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 296
my 2 L7's pund pretty nice. havent gone to a contest yet because i just got them in my talon. I used to have them in a chevy beretta but since I moved them to the hatchback they are alot louder.

I heard the new memphis pound pretty nice.

All I got to say Is Power Akusticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tsk Tsk... ;)

It's all how you install it.

Proper enclosure, proper power.

Just about any subwoofer can be installed in a vented box tuned to be really loud at a given frequency. These installs will sound like crap when you try to play actual music on them, but will get freakin' loud. They are usually meant ONLY to be burped (IE a HUGE amount of wattage is sent to the subwoofer for a few seconds).

The same subwoofer can be installed in an enclosure that yields a Qtc of .707 (derived from T/S parameters and modeling). Depending on the transfer function of the vehicle's interior (which is where "cabin gain" comes from, or a large "spike" in bass output usually around 20db between 15-25hz) the sub can be made to play very flat/linearly, sounding excellent for music because there is not given peak in the response...all notes are made to be played at the same level. However, this will not get as loud as a tuned setup.

That said, my favorite sounding subs are:

JL W6v2's (they are easier to get flat response with than the W7's...even Manville Smith, owner/founder of JL Audio prefers the W6v2 to the W7 for SQ...now for SPL, that is another story).
Elemental Designs O series (www.edesignaudio.com)
Image Dynamics IDMAX
Phase Linear Aliante
Illusion Audio ND subs
Focal Utopia subs

I don't compete SPL so I will not venture at recommendations here.

Anyone heard of the Eclipse (ha i know) audio company? i hear their stuff is pretty high end. Also, they're just pimpin to have if u drive an eclipse, i mean come on, how could u resist.

Eclipse Audio Wesbsite

has anyone heard anything from power acoustic mofo subs. they are only like 150 a piece and push 1200watts rms and peak at 2300-2400 watts. sound like a killer deal to me but i dont know how they sound . i wanted to buy just a 12 and a huge amp

Originally posted by Bishi'Banshi
Anyone heard of the Eclipse (ha i know) audio company? i hear their stuff is pretty high end. Also, they're just pimpin to have if u drive an eclipse, i mean come on, how could u resist.

Eclipse Audio Wesbsite

i know of eclipse, their aluminum subs are quite nice actually, they also make really nice decks and speakers :)

Audiobahn's can't be that bad...at least I hope not.

I've had a couple of AW1200Qs laying around, brand new, for the better part of 2 years...waiting to install them into something...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

show me ANY 18" sub with good sq...

NO problem , Resonant Engineering XXX 18"

As for the list here you go.

1. Jl Audio W7
2. Resonant Engineering XXX
3. Adire Audio Brhama MkII
4. Elemental Designs A Series
5. Kicker Solo x

Of course this all depends on your definition of good.
These represent a mixture of sound quality with some of the best spl in the business.
Others may get louder but they wont sound anywhere near as good doing it.

okay...i saw this post and knew i'd get a good laugh... alright

Originally posted by TechT
It really depends on what your into SQ or SPL.That determines what kind of sub to buy.I see we have alot of audio guy's in here.I say not in any order IDQ's and ED's are 2 of my favorite subs.Adire Shiva,Brahma is also good,but require some mad power.

first off, this should've been mentioned in the very first post... like asking what the "best car is"

and...

Originally posted by !^3
Tsk Tsk... ;)

It's all how you install it.

Proper enclosure, proper power.

Just about any subwoofer can be installed in a vented box tuned to be really loud at a given frequency. These installs will sound like crap when you try to play actual music on them, but will get freakin' loud. They are usually meant ONLY to be burped (IE a HUGE amount of wattage is sent to the subwoofer for a few seconds).

absolutly correct - it's all about the install... I don't recall the name of the guy. but a few years back, a seasoned SQ competitor installed an entire pyramid system...and did pretty well too...i'll dig up his name/car, but chew on that if ya think big $$ = good sound... and if any of you are in chicago...i'll let ya listen to my car and try to guess how much I spent... hint* most of you spent more on your head unit

and finally...

Originally posted by redgst97
My Top 5 list: not in any order:

Image Dynamics: IDQ or (if you are lucky enough) an ID MAX
Diamond Audio: Mac Daddy or M6...have not heard the TDX yet
Eclipse: 88-Series Aluminum or 88-Ti Titanium Series
Focal: good for SQ, but not as strong in the SPL area.
Kicker: Round style Solobarics.

Now, the above list is geared toward SQ, NOT spl. However, most of these subs will get lound enough for 90% of folks in a proper box with proper power.

The list is different for strictly SLP applications.

John

I agree with all the above, I've used them all and have had good experiences... I could go into details on each of em...but i won't.

as far as spl subs... it's like 90% based on the install... modern spl woofer designs are all pretty efficient, leaving linear power, and enclosure design(car and enclosure), as the two variables in creating spl... it's all just physics.

also...for the guy who said jl's are better in "odd #s", that basically means multiples of 3s, because of the dual 6ohm voice coils, wiring them in a series/parrallel config will net an amplifier freindly 4 ohm load.

and for the guy who said that 18s and sq don't go together... velodyne used to make an 18" powered sub that would definatly change your opinion...i can't remember the model # for the life of me... but anyway, i always revert to my motto...

"there are no bad woofers, just bad enclosures" that and...
"everybody wang-chung tonight"

Originally posted by dTERM
Audiobahn is crap. It's a step up from Pyramid and Crunch. Rockford has a few good lines, their most expensive lines are about equal to the cheap JL's.

I bought audiobahn flame q's for my wife and they pound harder than rockford, jl, alpine. I took the subs over to master audio and security and they impressed the installer over there when they pounded kicker l7's into the ground. They used the same amp as my wife's (rf 801s) I love em and we've had em for a year with no problems whatsoever, I've gone through 2 sets of he2 12 from rockford, they got staying power

I dont know if anyone has said this because I didnt take time to read every post, but if you want a good system then dont worry about which sub is best. Any sub can sound good with enough power and the right box. Concentrate on the right amp and box and then worry about a sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back