The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Tools Needed to Turbo? Or Pay Someone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNWhiteRS

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2004
San Diego, California
Well for the last two weeks I've been looking at getting an SRT4, but it looks like I owe too much on this damn N/T Eclipse. So I want to know how hard and what tools I would need exactly to install a turbo kit on this car? Also, are there any people or shops that could do this for me, and how much would that be. I love cars but I very regretably don't know that much about fixing them, so thats why I need to know how hard it is. I definitely don't mind learning how to do it cuz I know you guys would be a lot of help, I just need to know what tools and how impossible it would be for me.

Thanks

BlackNWhiteRS said:
Well for the last two weeks I've been looking at getting an SRT4, but it looks like I owe too much on this damn N/T Eclipse. So I want to know how hard and what tools I would need exactly to install a turbo kit on this car? Also, are there any people or shops that could do this for me, and how much would that be. I love cars but I very regretably don't know that much about fixing them, so thats why I need to know how hard it is. I definitely don't mind learning how to do it cuz I know you guys would be a lot of help, I just need to know what tools and how impossible it would be for me.

Thanks

Dont go buy a new car if you still owe a lot on the one you have now. A Neon isnt worth getting upside down over.

As far as tools go, youre going to need a floor jack or two, some jackstands, some sort of drill to tap the oil pan, a pry bar, and a good socket set of metric and standard. Its not going to be terribly hard if you take your time, and if you have a friend to lend some elbow grease.

However, if you want to get a shop to do it for you, look for it to cost around $600 for a non-intercooled turbo kit install. Everything extra after that (gauges, intercooler, etc) is going to be on a per hour basis, which differs by shop.

you will also need a oil sender socket, a welder or access to a shop with one to weld the fitting into the pan. maybe a few screwdrivers. there is always a parts run or two for stupid stuff. it is a easy install. takes time. good luck.

If you're buying a preassembled kit (which you should, if you don't even know what tools will be required), you should post in the SoCal forum on this site (or SoCal DSM if you're over there), and see if there would be any 2GNTers willing to lend a hand. You might offer to pay them for helping you out if you wanted to. At the least, you should offer free food and drink to anyone who would come to your aide.

Keep in mind, though, that this is the sort of mod that is not install and forget. You will have to keep an eye on your tuning and maintenance or you will drive that car into the ground in no time. Your engine will not be the same after a turbo. It requires regular maintenance and personal responsibility. If something goes wrong, it would likely be due to your negligence more so than anyone who helped you with the install.

Just some thoughts.

And don't call it a "damn N/T." You don't see the rest of us referring to you as a "damn newb," do you? ;)

Randomrage said:
As far as tools go, youre going to need a floor jack or two, some jackstands, some sort of drill to tap the oil pan, a pry bar, and a good socket set of metric and standard. Its not going to be terribly hard if you take your time, and if you have a friend to lend some elbow grease.

However, if you want to get a shop to do it for you, look for it to cost around $600 for a non-intercooled turbo kit install. Everything extra after that (gauges, intercooler, etc) is going to be on a per hour basis, which differs by shop.

you can be looking anywhere all the way up to $1200 to install it too, that's why I installed mine

selmerguy said:
you will also need a oil sender socket, a welder or access to a shop with one to weld the fitting into the pan. maybe a few screwdrivers. there is always a parts run or two for stupid stuff. it is a easy install. takes time. good luck.

The socket to get the oil sender off is a 1 1/16" deep socket. You may also need something to cut with sawzall, grinder, or torch although being in cali hopefully your downpipe isn't too rusted where it bolts to the cat. Line wrenches should also help for the fuel system but aren't necessary. As for welding the fitting on a pan, if you are looking for a used kit you usually won't have to worry about this part because most people sell their kits with the drilled and tapped oil pan and just put a stock one back on. The absolute best tools to do this are this website and 2gnt they will be the most useful.

As for being mechanically inclined you sound like me, you'd like to learn but you have never really done anything. The most I had ever done before my install was change my oil and put on my bumper and headlights. It's really not that hard its mostly just bolt-on. By doing the install yourself you'll also be able to better identify any problems if something doesnt seem right you'll know every inch of the kit to check out

edit: one last thing lots of pb blaster or wd40 and probably a lot of patience too rarely does everything go smoothly

I can't believe you called me a newb. I've been a member for a year and a half. Just because I don't kow what tools are needed to add something that was NEVER even meant to go on our cars does not make me a newb. And I'll call it a DAMN N/T if I want to. I'm sure every N/T owner wishes they had a turbo atleast sometimes. My eclipse has served me well, it ran pretty good, it looks good, and its sorta quick for being N/T. Doesn't mean that I don't wish it was a GSX or GST everyday. Hell I even wish I had a GS instead. Stupid manual windows and no options!

Thanks for all of the info (Yeah I'm a member over at socaldsm), I'll find out tomorrow if I'm gonna do this or not. Hopefully I can get the SRT4 tomorrow and you'll never hear from me and my DAMN N/T again.

Thanks to everyone over the last year and a half for all the info. I still love DSM's but I need something more practical now.

BlackNWhiteRS said:
I can't believe you called me a newb. I've been a member for a year and a half.

The length of time you have been a member has nothing to do with that statement.

Obviously you don't want to be called a newb since you truely don't believe you are. So why would your car want to be called a "damn" n/t. They have feelings to.

Being a newb isn't bad anyways, and you are, to the subject of turboing a non-turbo car. The statement wasn't harrassing at all, he wasn't even calling you one anyways. It just meant you were uneducated in the subject :thumb:

Let us know what route you take (SRT-4 or turbo the WONDERFUL n/t) so we'll know if you need more help.

Lastly you're better off listening to dr1665 anyways, he knows what he's talking about. Especially when it comes to 2gnt. He's probably the only person I've ever associated with who has a 2gnt and is looking to buy a factory turbo eclipse to be his daily driver.

BlackNWhiteRS said:
I can't believe you called me a newb. I've been a member for a year and a half. Just because I don't kow what tools are needed to add something that was NEVER even meant to go on our cars does not make me a newb. And I'll call it a DAMN N/T if I want to. I'm sure every N/T owner wishes they had a turbo atleast sometimes. My eclipse has served me well, it ran pretty good, it looks good, and its sorta quick for being N/T. Doesn't mean that I don't wish it was a GSX or GST everyday. Hell I even wish I had a GS instead. Stupid manual windows and no options!

Thanks for all of the info (Yeah I'm a member over at socaldsm), I'll find out tomorrow if I'm gonna do this or not. Hopefully I can get the SRT4 tomorrow and you'll never hear from me and my DAMN N/T again.

Thanks to everyone over the last year and a half for all the info. I still love DSM's but I need something more practical now.
don't let the door hit you on the way out :nono:

good luck on whatever ends up happening :rolleyes:

I am going to just go back to your financial comments in your first post. If you already owe a lot of money on your car, I would just pay that down for a while before trying to turbo it.

DSMcrazy3 said:
The length of time you have been a member has nothing to do with that statement.

Obviously you don't want to be called a newb since you truely don't believe you are. So why would your car want to be called a "damn" n/t. They have feelings to.

Being a newb isn't bad anyways, and you are, to the subject of turboing a non-turbo car. The statement wasn't harrassing at all, he wasn't even calling you one anyways. It just meant you were uneducated in the subject :thumb:

Let us know what route you take (SRT-4 or turbo the WONDERFUL n/t) so we'll know if you need more help.

Lastly you're better off listening to dr1665 anyways, he knows what he's talking about. Especially when it comes to 2gnt. He's probably the only person I've ever associated with who has a 2gnt and is looking to buy a factory turbo eclipse to be his daily driver.

Well said:thumb: Turbo or Not, have a little respect for your dsm.

"Lastly you're better off listening to dr1665 anyways, he knows what he's talking about." Very very true :rocks:

First of all, I'd like to thank the fellas in this thread who supported me and actually read what I said that was seen as so inflammatory. I appreciate your comments and yes, I am buying a turbo "DSM" to be my daily driver while I go balls deep on the 2GNT. I'm finally picking up my GVR4 next month in New Mexico. I firmly believe there is a lot of potential in the 2GNT platform and I intend to explore that potential.

To the original poster, I was not calling you a newb. I was playing up to how your negative comment, "DAMN N/T," highlighted a possible disdain for your car that no amount of modification would likely be able to remedy. I laid out the hard, cold fact that this isn't going to make your car a GS-T. It sounded to me, in your very first post, that you're really looking for a reason to get something else and just give up on the 2GNT. If that is the case, best of luck with your future endeavors - whatever you buy.

You are 100% right that we all wish we had a turbo car from time to time, and seeing as I drive a base model Talon that didn't even come with a radio or that cover for the hatch, I know what it's like to have to do the ghetto-fabulous lean-over to roll down the passenger window. I liken it to how real race cars do not have power options either. ;) If you really do not like the car, then your best bet would be to let it go, but if deep down inside, you really like your car, then put your mind to setting some goals and going for them.

I've had my car for more than nine years, but up until about three years ago, it was completely stock and I didn't know jack. We all have to start somewhere...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back