The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

tool brand

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CruDSM

Proven Member
Sep 19, 2013
Cru Land, Maryland
What tool brands are most used by mechanics? I have a mixture of snap on and craftsman and havent had any issues but i need a new torque wrench and figured id ask generally who makes the best?

Ive used a lot of tools the ones I like are the ones that never break, but even craftsman break that's why they have warranties so no preferences I get the ones with lifetime warranties.

Most of my tools are snap on from my days at the ford dealership, my torque wrench is an electric 1/2" with digital display, it beeps and vibrates when you hit the desired torque, downside is its very expensive, I believe I paid $612 or $614 for it. I had a harbor freight I picked up for like $30 and the FIRST time I tried to use it , it broke, the FIRST time, So lesson here is don't buy calibrated equipment from harbor freight, but their impact sockets are great :D

I have been using a mix of Craftsman and Husky. Anything can and will break over time. The big difference I have found is the cheaper imported tools. They use an inferior metal that can't hold the torque and abuse we put on them. As far a s a torque wrench goes, it depends on your budget too. You can pick up a decent wrench at Lowes or go big with a digital one that beeps when you hit your target. Also you can look into Matco tools.

Good luck and happy wrenching!!

My Snap-On torque wrench wasn't too spendy at the time and it came with calibration sheets to prove it's within .1% accuracy. Just make sure you take care of it and keep it unloaded when not in use.

You can get decent tools from any of the bigger name brands however. I have Snap-On, Mac, Matco, TSi (Gearwrench, Craftsman) and many different inexpensive cheap tools from Harbor Freight. Can't beat a lifetime warranty.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/ven...48-digital-torque-wrench-holiday-special.html

Just wait till this goes on sale real soon and its supporting the venders that support this site.

I have this and got it on offer aswell, its a great bit of kit.

On the original question, i use sealey and facom but most of mine are sealey as facom is super expensive, both have an exchange programme so its easy to get a swap if it breaks. Hell ive bought so.e stuff from sears before and it also has a swap programme and i asked if im in the uk and they said they will still replace it for me ;-)

Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, SK. Are the only tools I buy. With any of the brands i listed it comes down to preference. Pick the tools that feels the most comfortable in your hand because your going to be the one using them for hours at a time. You don't have to spend top dollar to get good quality. For example I have bought a 3/8 drive GP duo socket set off an SK dealer. Only managed to break one socket but that was after a year of taking lugs on and off cars and it was replaced without an issue.

If you can afford them Cornwell is by far the best as far as quality and durability. This is why the military uses them as their official supplier of tools.

I hear a lot of guy's like Husky and Snap On tools because of their handles plus they have a good warranty just like pretty much any other real tool company.

My friend has a 728 dollar Cornwell master socket set that is amazing and works out great for him but personally I own Wal-Mart sockets and a couple ancient Craftsman wrenches. I've only split once socket and that was breaking loose a suspension bolt that was rusted on, but still managed to break it loose.

What exactly are your needs?

I buy tools all the time.

I hate to even think how much I have spent on hand tools.

I still pick up name brand tools at yard sales and flee markets when they are in the cheap, it seems I just never have enough 10,12,13 mm deep sockets.

The cheapo tools get thrown in a 5 gallon bucket to be "loaners" or cut and mod for a specific one time task.

For torque wrenches, read this thread.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/466100-torque-wrench.html

I would say that you can get away with all kinds of tools as far as brands, but when it comes to torque wrenches....this needs to be a very accurate. If you don't know that it is correct, then it defeats the point. That is the one place to not go cheap and when you get a really good one, you need to handle it and care for it correctly. You NEED to release the tension on the spring when your done using it, other wise it will become stretched and......inaccurate.

I haven't gotten a nice name brand yet because my current Kobalt 1/2" is still accurate. I check it on the Snap on truck every few months. There must be a spot on the gear that is damaged because it seems to skip from time to time. Luckily I haven't put any real pressure on the handle therefore no broken hand yet.

For professional/frequent use, check out CDI wrenches, they're SnapOn industrial.

Also, for tires check in to using torque sticks, they will save your back. Even the cheap brands are spot on.

Craftsman, pre-china kobalt, hell I dont even have issue with using some harbor freight tools. I bought a 1/4 and 3/8 combo ratchet with variable extension, LOVE IT!!!!!

I used snap on when I was in military, and schooling for automotive diesel training. I have liked feel of snap on tools. I am not big fan of tools with hard or sharp edges.

I only buy craftsman tools simply because you can catch them on sale, so price is great on my college budget and they have a lifetime warranty. It also depends on the tool on which brand to buy. Like I only buy vice grip brand for vice grips simply because they last and last and last. As far a torque wrenches go. I use craftsman and always set it to zero when not in use. I use my dad's snap-on torques if I need Newton meters or very small ft lbs.

I've been a mechanic by trade for over 20yrs now. Snap on for any tool I need to use often or need to rely on. A torque wrench definitely fits that description. You need to have confidence that it is correct everytime you use it. If you need a tool that is used seldomly and not that important then by all means save a few bucks and get it from harbour freight.

I have a Craftsman socket and wrench set, and other than that it's a combination of things from Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Lowes, HD etc. I'm not a professional by any means, so there's no reason for me to have a set of tools costing thousands of dollars. For something that I need to use just once or very infrequently, it's usually something from Harbor Freight. Ironically, my dad would never buy any cheap tools and has a bunch of Snap-On and Craftsman. I figured if I ever broke something I would just one of his.

I've always used craftsman. Lifetime warranty and only a few miles from my house incase a tool breaks. Also pretty inexpensive.

I use Mastercraft, which is Canadian Tire's house brand (similar to Sears). I don't make my living with these tools so I cheap out a bit. They have a life time warranty.

The tools I use at work are much higher quality, I just replaced all my cheaper Mastercraft and Channel Lock stuff with Klien Tools.

If you can afford them Cornwell is by far the best as far as quality and durability. This is why the military uses them as their official supplier of tools.

Incorrect statement at the very least.

I work as a helicopter mechanic in the Army. Every unit I have been a part of has exclusively had 100% Snap-On tools and boxes.

Of the civilians I work side by side with, I would venture to say about 75% of them own Craftsman tools and boxes. The rest are just a cluster of other name brands for the specialty Items they need. There's usually 3 or 4 in a group of 25 guys with Snap-On stuff.

Bottom line is get what you want. If you get past the marketing hype of high priced tools you will ultimately have a much fatter wallet and you'll still get your task accomplished.

I also use craftsman for the reason mentioned above. I also like to keep a matching set of my tools. They are good quality and pretty cheap for what you get. And the warranty is awesome. It always feels good to take a tool back that is broken and get one new/ fixed in return without a receipt. More companies are starting to do that now however. I have two craftsman torque wrenches, inlbs and ftlbs. I would wait for them to go on sale though. They were $80 a wrench for me when I bought them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back