The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowUglyDSM

20+ Year Contributor
May 16, 2002
Grand_Rapids_MI
Where can I get this setup cheap? Also, how hard the installation will be coupled with GC coilover? Can it be done with only one person?

Stay away from the illumina's combined with coil-overs!!! I had SKunk2 coil-overs and the Illumina's on my SPyder GST and blew no less than 3 rear struts! They are not designed to handle the spring rates that coil-overs have. You will be better off with KYB AGX's or Koni's.

Hmmm...I can't even count the number of people that have skunk2's and Tokico Illumina's. I'm no expert, but I have heard plenty more good things than bad. However, I do not doubt that you could've had a problem. In my experience there are too many variables to consider.

Yes there are better setups, but they may cost more than what some can afford. So I suggest you listen everyone and create your descision based on your feelings about the product.

Honestly, I have the mentioned struts and think they are decent. Are they the best no OMG, but they were the right price and do the job. Will I run a coilover setup with them? Absolutely, cause I think with the reasonable spring the setup would be as close to perfect FOR ME as I could get it with my dollars. :p

Originally posted by Ryan G.
Stay away from the illumina's combined with coil-overs!!! I had SKunk2 coil-overs and the Illumina's on my SPyder GST and blew no less than 3 rear struts! They are not designed to handle the spring rates that coil-overs have. You will be better off with KYB AGX's or Koni's.

Hmmm... I heard the KYB's are not good for our cars???

Yeah, i heard bad thing about KYB AGX on 2G. So I think I wil be better off getting Konis... Where did you guys get yours from?? Don't tell me you found them on the street :p

no not on the street. my fell from the sky and landed on my yard one morning......... i think the dsm stork brought them

I think KYB redid their struts...problem was the shaft was 1" longer than stock. They are cheaper and I 've heard nothing but good things. Another thing that pisses me off about the Tokico's is their customer service. They won't replace their struts no matter what if you have modified it for coil-overs. There is even a sticker on every strut stating this. What does that tell you?!?

well in my oppinion i believe the saying "you get what you pay for" and i would never buy something baised on the reason that..... it's the cheepest..... it just might come back to bite you in the ass later and in your pocket book.

oh and ryan that sticker means that if you have to modify them then your using the wrong strut. if in fact you did modify some then some how you could have altered their performance and the integrity of that part and may have weakend it causing it to fail; that's what that sticker is for, and that's why if you altered them tokico wont replace them. if you would have used them the way they were intented there would have been no problem with the replacment of those struts.

As long as you are careful and don't cut in to the the body of the shock it will not hurt the integrity of the shock. The perch is mearly welded fast the the shock body and does nothing for stuctural integrity of the shock. Therefore it can easily be removed without a problem.

I bought my skunks because I got a good price on them. I was going to get Ground Control's but I found these and couldn't pass up the deal. I think these have a much better rating and background that any of the cheapo coilovers such as Maxspeed, APC, ect....

I also didn't know if I liked the idea of a single set screw holding my spring in place, as the ground control's have. I am not sure what the spring rate on my coilovers are but you can buy replacement springs from eibach at any spring rate you wish for fairly cheap all you really need is the coilover setup, the springs are replacable.

I have the tokico 5 way adjustables and Groung Control Coilovers and I love them to death. Of all the different types of suspensions I have had on my car, that is by far the best. No complaints here.

I can't remember. I didn't buy them together. I orignally had 550 springs up front but bought less stiff ones, I think I have 400s now but not sure. I will have to check. GCs are not cheap, and the tokicos are not super expensive. I am sure if you did some shopping you would be able to get a decent price for both.

there was a group buy for the gc's at 380 w/ free shipping within the us and if u go to www.shox.com, they quoted me for illuminas for like 360 or something, but then u gotta pay shipping too... but those are the best prices i found......... actually if u go to murrays and they can order them for u and u dont havta pay shipping.. thats what i just did with the tokico performance shocks....... i went el cheapo and went non adjustable....

Originally posted by slospyder
there was a group buy for the gc's at 380 w/ free shipping within the us and if u go to www.shox.com, they quoted me for illuminas for like 360 or something, but then u gotta pay shipping too... but those are the best prices i found......... actually if u go to murrays and they can order them for u and u dont havta pay shipping.. thats what i just did with the tokico performance shocks....... i went el cheapo and went non adjustable....

Well I live in San Diego so maybe I will check out www.shox.com.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back