The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

TOB Question loud rattling noise while the clutch is out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChvyKc

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2003
Cayce, South_Carolina
I am pretty sure that I have a problem with my throw out bearing. The car makes a loud rattling noise while the clutch is out which I have always heard is caused by the TOB. I just wanted to ask if there is anything else that I should check before I pulled the tranny out or any suggestions on anything that I should check once I have the tranny out. Trannies confuse the hell out of me and I just want to make sure that I don't miss anything. I only want to pull this tranny out once. Thanks in advance for the help.

ChvyKc said:
I am pretty sure that I have a problem with my throw out bearing. The car makes a loud rattling noise while the clutch is out which I have always heard is caused by the TOB. I just wanted to ask if there is anything else that I should check before I pulled the tranny out or any suggestions on anything that I should check once I have the tranny out. Trannies confuse the hell out of me and I just want to make sure that I don't miss anything. I only want to pull this tranny out once. Thanks in advance for the help.

I had an issue like that, I hear a rattle noise from my tranny... but when I press in the clutch it was gone. People told me it was the TOB... So I pulled my tranny. Same time I took a look at my clutch. I had the ACT 2600 at the time. And the disc looked different I guess it was the older one, but when I shook it, it rattle. So I guess that was where the noise came from. But I ended up replacing all my clutch and tranny componets... Master & Slave Cylinders, TOB, Ball, Clutch fork, another 2600 Clutch & Disc , Resurface Flywheel, Tranny... So I'll find out in a week or two if everything is working good. But if you have an aftermarket clutch like the ACT street disc. That might be the problem. But if you dont. then could be the TOB.

Yeah, I have a 2600 in there. The guy that had the car before me had it installed so I have no idea how old it is. I know exactly what you are talking about though. The same thing happened to a buddies 2100. The springs didn't want to sit in their seats anymore and they just shook around.

ChvyKc said:
Yeah, I have a 2600 in there. The guy that had the car before me had it installed so I have no idea how old it is. I know exactly what you are talking about though. The same thing happened to a buddies 2100. The springs didn't want to sit in their seats anymore and they just shook around.

Yeah, and the replacement street disc i put it, didn't rattle. And the new disc from ACT should be better...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back