The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

TMZ Performance shop has burned down

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd degree burns on hands and face. Man he looks......like he's been in a fire. He sent me a picture but I won't post it. I wished him a speedy recovery and any help I could possibly be, including PRAYERS! 🙏

Partial Thickness burns are no joke, but honestly I’m more worried about his lungs and airway. Getting that close to fire where it burns hands and face, means getting close enough for the heat alone to damage your trachea/upper and low airways, not to mention smoke inhalation.

Hope he’s okay. His health is more important than any service or knowledge he has IMO.

Partial Thickness burns are no joke, but honestly I’m more worried about his lungs and airway. Getting that close to fire where it burns hands and face, means getting close enough for the heat alone to damage your trachea/upper and low airways, not to mention smoke inhalation.

Hope he’s okay. His health is more important than any service or knowledge he has IMO.
Typical Tim, he was going on about the obsolete parts, customer builds and other stuff that was lost, which don't get me wrong, is certainly significant and difficult to accept... but I'm not sure if he realizes how truly relieved we all are that he escaped it and should be able to recover fully. In the end, we'll find a way to get over the material stuff. That wouldn't be the case if we lost him.

OH NO, Glad he made it out alive, what a loss, the parts, tools, his Eclipse, man that is devastating to the community. We don't have a lot of tranny guys, this is going to hurt. Again, I am super glad Tim is OK and looks like he'll make a full recovery. I just spoke with him at the SO, just tells you life is super fragile.

Dude, take it easy and get well, you'll be back on your feet before you know it.

Very tragic indeed. I talk to tim sometimes almost weekly about trans stuff. Tim is a tough guy, he's been through some shit and keeps on. He will forge ahead in some fashion. I can't even fathom that sort of loss. The building it's self was amazing let alone everything inside it. Truely my worst nightmare, and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I saw the photos of his face. He was fighting hard to save it. Glad he's ok.
Me too. I know he fought all he could. Super glad he is safe and said that he was the only one in the shop that day in a short convo with him this morning via text.

Yeah, he did mention in a reply that is wayyyy down the page now, "I'm just worried about my airways swelling up and needing to be tubed and respirator."

In another reply to somebody's question about how it happened he said, "cleaning a trans case, caught a spark from a roloc disk and it ignited the tray and then me trying to extinguish it."
And:
"Was degreasing Silvieri's trans case, was whiz wheeling the case with a roloc scotchbrite pad and it sparked off the aluminum and ignited cleaning tray adjacent to me. Must have hit a steel fragment imbedded."

Last edited:
Yeah, he did mention in a reply that is wayyyy down the page now, "I'm just worried about my airways swelling up and needing to be tubed and respirator."

In another reply to somebody's question about how it happened he said, "cleaning a trans case, caught a spark from a roloc disk and it ignited the tray and then me trying to extinguish it."
And:
"Was degreasing Silvieri's trans case, was whiz wheeling the case with a roloc scotchbrite pad and it sparked off the aluminum and ignited cleaning tray adjacent to me. Must have hit a steel fragment imbedded."

It's insane how fast fires can happen. The airways swelling is a concern, but so is secretions/liquid on the lungs. Fire and smoke in general is one of the human bodies worst enemies. We can get you back pretty easy if you drown, or even if you suffocate due to lack of oxygen/asphyxiation, but man..fire is a SOB. It's so much more than just the fire itself. It's like a nuclear detonation. The fire and blast is only legitimately ONE of the concerns.

My heart breaks for him losing his livelihood. But I am absolutely sure his family is just thankful he made it out. For what it's worth, he's got my prayers and my positive thoughts. I don't have a single thing to sell other than stock parts or I would. Hope he bounces back soon.

Typical Tim, he was going on about the obsolete parts, customer builds and other stuff that was lost, which don't get me wrong, is certainly significant and difficult to accept... but I'm not sure if he realizes how truly relieved we all are that he escaped it and should be able to recover fully. In the end, we'll find a way to get over the material stuff. That wouldn't be the case if we lost him.

That definitely says a lot about his character. Damn life happens fast. I see it every day and it still surprises me.

And I don't mean to step on any toes, please no one take this the wrong way, but this also encourages me to make sure all my different fire extinguishers are all up to code and within reach. Mind-boggling how fast it can get out of hand. Firefighters have my eternal respect, I tell you.

Edit: I have a favor to ask you guys who know Tim personally/as a friend. Watch him like a hawk. Check on him EVERY DAY. Ask probing questions and make sure he is mentally healthy. Looking at the pictures on FB and seeing his comments/his demeaner has me worried big time. Remind him of what he still HAS, not what he has LOST. Tell him about his family, how much he's loved and absolutely can and will recover. Just talk to him. Some red flags going up here.

Last edited:
Really a tragedy there glad he got out of that carnage. I've spoken to him over the years always good to see him at the shootout , and chat with him.

Thank you everyone for checking up on me, all the messages, and kind words, generosity and camaraderie of the car community, it truly means so much!

I am recovering, my face was pretty bad, had a reaction to the stuff being used on my face and swelled really bad Tuesday and Wednesday, looked better by Thursday with the swelling dropping. My face is healing good and will take another week im guessing for all the peeling and major pain to subside. My left had had minor 1st degree burns and blistering and will be fine. My right hand had worse 2nd degree burns, splitting and blistering and will probably take a few weeks to heal. I'm hoping the scarring is minimal and am resting at home with my mom and girlfriend and several others helping out with me and my kiddos. I know I am seriously lucky on what my injuries are vs what could have happened.

I kept my head together when the incident occurred, covered the tray on fire, and it ignited my arm, and spread to a second tray. I used my chemical extinguisher and the flaming tray backwashed me with brake clean and gear oil all over and i had to put myself out. Pulled my flaming hoodie off, grabbed my hoodie and moved flaming trays away and grabbed my second extinguisher which did not discharge. I did all I could to stop the fire but it went out of control up the wall after my second extinguisher didn't work, and when the exhaust fan window burned out and the 40mph winds we had that day took control, the winds were forcing air back in and it was burning plastic sheeting, insulation, drywall, wood, etc really really fast. I pulled the bay door to push bad air out and make an emergency exit, grabbed my couple belongings i could, and got outside. I am thankful we had tall ceilings as it gave me more time to fight the fire unsuccessfully and I called 911 and got out. From start of fire to 911 was approximately 3 minutes.

I got to the front of the property and directed first responders and then they sat me down until an ambulance arrived.

The place went up fast and was completely engulfed and collapsed within minutes. Fire trucks weren't even set up yet. The horrible winds made it impossible to save. I did everything I could. It was totally destroyed within 15 minutes. A 50x100ft 2 story ~46ft tall building w/16ft walls.

My safety glasses saved my eyes, and I thankfully took off my nitrile gloves right beforehand when I was using my brass brush and scotchbrite pad whiz wheel when the fire occurred, otherwise I would have had much worse injuries.

I will tell everyone this. Buy as many Element 100 extinguishers as you can. A few of those would have probably saved the shop if I had quick access to them.

As for everything now, that is in the hands of insurance.

I will need everyone's help with this one. We are going to continue doing the charitable auctions through Josh, and I'm asking all of you guys and gals to help if you can. I literally lost 20+ years of my life, my business, my job, and all possessions including my race car with all my parts and spares, a huge amount of customer work and the parts for building them in the fire.

I will be around, but it will be a while before I am able to work, and have to literally start over from zero. It is going to be a hard road ahead.

Thank you all,
Sincerely,
Tim Zimmer
TMZ Performance

I have 2 ABC extinguishers in my shop. I think I will get 2 more.
Heal up, you need the recuperation time. Glad to hear the swelling is starting to subside! Prayers to you every day.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back