The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

TLC Rides with Jay Leno

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckdog_5

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2002
San Diego, California
I was watchin rides tonight on tlc, they did a 66' Torenado (sp?). I didnt care too much for the car, but what went in it was very impressive. Twin Turbo with 1000hp, not bad for an old muscle car, i cant remeber the displacement though. It was pretty cool listening to them talk about turbos and intercoolers and such, some ppl actualy knew their facts. Jay Leno is a lucky guy, just thought i would let some of ya know the impressive engineering, they did it for the SEMA show in veags, from sracth. very impressive

I just got done watching that too, and i was impressed. I cant believe how they crammed everything in there, even enough to water cool the intercooler, and tiny radiators to cool the water that cools the intercooler. Just crazy. Except i dont see how Jay would ever hook up very well with those skinny tires in the back with 1000hp.

they swapped it to RWD using a corvette chassis I do believe.

Yeh, it's Toronado, and not only FWD, but chain-drive as well. Not to the wheels, but someplace between the engine and transmission, or final drive. Great huge Morse silent chain. The FWD El Dorados came out at the same time.

Leno's on My Classic Car fairly often with Dennis Gage- couple of the interesting ones were the jet turbine motorcycle, and the gargantuan roadster built around an air-cooled M-47 (Chrysler) tank engine.

It's good to hear Jay talk about cars and motorhead stuff- those cars are in about the best hands they could be, he's on top of the game.

yeah he converted to rwd with 4 wheel independent suspension from a corvette.

I saw that build up last night. What a hideous car, why he would do that to it is beyond me.
Having said that, the motor is sick, twin turbo v8 over 1000hp

Defiant said:
Leno's on My Classic Car fairly often with Dennis Gage- couple of the interesting ones were the jet turbine motorcycle, and the gargantuan roadster built around an air-cooled M-47 (Chrysler) tank engine.

In a recent car and driver, they compare it to a real us tank (m1?). It isn't too slow for its size but holds alot of engine oil(25qts?) in comparison to most cars.

Jay rocks :thumb:

TSI_FWD said:
What a hideous car, why he would do that to it is beyond me.

That was the hole whole point of the car. HE liked the way it looked and thought it would be cool to make it. Not everyone builds cars so everyone in America will think it is the cats ass.

That car was a boat, it weighed somthing like 4200-4400 lbs after they were finished with it :thumbdown

i was dissapointed because i couldnt hear the turbos spool when they were flying by the camera. i highly doubt that it was making 1000hp by the time that show was taped. and whos the idiot that put skinny ass tires on a car that is able to produce 1000hp? (prolly jay)

THE_ARTIST_ said:
That car was a boat, it weighed somthing like 4200-4400 lbs after they were finished with it :thumbdown

i was dissapointed because i couldnt hear the turbos spool when they were flying by the camera. i highly doubt that it was making 1000hp by the time that show was taped. and whos the idiot that put skinny ass tires on a car that is able to produce 1000hp? (prolly jay)
I'm glad we have an expert in custom vehicle fabrication in the house. :rolleyes:

THE_ARTIST_ said:

So what. If you actually watched the show he was making his version of the Bently GT and that car weighs 5200 LBS and I am sure it doesnt deserve a :thumbdown . It wasnt meant to be a super car, please comprehend the entore show before posting ignorant remarks.

Why do you doubt that?? Is it becasue, like your other comment show, you were not paying attention. I could clearly here the turbos on a few clips they showed. Not to mention a custom built 427 LS1 with TT will have no problem making that kind of power, but it depends on the tune. The Chicayne can make 1300 Hp, but it will usually make around 800 or so on pumpgas with a pump gas tune. The car was suppsoed to look stock on the outside, hence the redline tires. :rolleyes:

I try not to get mad on forums, but when it is as simple as actually paying attention to a show it is rediculous. All the things you think are dumb or wrong were addressed in the show by Jay or the guys build the car. Reruns are you friend.

I understand the reason he did this, I did pay attention.
It's just my personal opinion, and noone has to agree with me.
Even though the car has an innovative design for those times as well as unheard of FWD set up, it's still as ugly as they get.
Did you hear Jay's comments after it was done?
He never said it was super duper, beauty......he said it was hilarious!

Dyno charts and 1/4 miles times are needed.

1000hp and it didnt put jayin the seat when you put the peddle down, or he couldnt go full throttle b/c it would break the tires loose.

Was a neat build very neat. And 1000hp is very deable but they cant be runninga lot of boost (no intercooler for what it looked like), so i dont know.

NewB2dsm said:
where were they or it at? all i saw was two U shaped pipes going to the intake manifold from the turbos. I missed some of the show, so let me know.

Those U shaped pipes went into the intercoolers. They were basically the intake manifold for the motor from the looks of it. I had to pee so I missed that one part of the show.

It was water cooled intercooler that had mini radiators and resivors in the fenders to cool the water. Pretty crazy. I liked how the car looked all together , especially under the hood :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back