The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

TJCtalon's 2gb Talon build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks great. Those FN01RC's should look awesome on there.

No Ive narrowed down my color choice to 2 colors.

I either want Paprika pearl red ( Chryslers cayene red) Or a gunmetal greyish color. Of course Im going to keep the talon 2 tone black top.

Very nice. I really like the paprika color. If I were ever to repaint mine, it would be paprika.

Update 6-13-12

The new clutch and flywheel was installed last weekend. So far its awesome. Its hard to relearn how to drive it, the light weight flywheel is pretty different. Also got my slight idle issue got fixxed also, turns out my BOV was leaking bad. Put in a stiffer spring and it idles right at 850. Cams really lope, sounds awesome. I didnt get any pictures of the clutch install, but Ill take some pictures soon and put them up

Any particular reason why you're not recirculating your BOV?

Yes actually, First I have no issues with dieing or running bad as it sits.

And second the adjustment on ECMlink tunes out any issues of running rich after shifts and any driviability issues that come with.

Update 6-21-12

Finally got my wheels and tires on. Ive had these rims laying around for over a year. Just havnt had a chance to get some tires on them until now.

Heres the tire I choose. The Hankook ventus RS-3. The best tire for the money right now. They have been on back order for months, and they just got some more. I got the first set :)
rs3.jpg

wheels.jpg

Also got a set of BFG G force drag's for cheap so I threw them on a set of GSX rims I had. Ill be painting those this weekend.
NewImage.jpg

And here is how the talon looks for now. I love these rims and tires.
Talon255.jpg

Talon254.jpg

NICE!!! I love those tires. what size did you get?

Update: 7-9-12

Well while doing my boost leak test preparing for tuning, I found out that my BOV is still leaking. Ever since I bought this VRSF FMIC its leaked no matter what. I tried a new gasket and RTV and it still leaked.

Ive had enough with it, I blame VRSF shitty BOV design. I ordered a Tial 50mm BOV from STM. Tomorrow Im having the v band welded on to my piping. Here are a few pics

bov5.jpg

bov2.jpg

bov3.jpg

Thats the forge bov I have been running. Good BOV I recomend it. Sounds nice and fairly inexpensive

Heres the shitty design
bov4.jpg

Heres the size difference
bov1.jpg

Update: 7-15-12

I got the new Tial BOV put in a few days ago. I love it, I dont think Ill buy another BOV again. Sounds nice, and luckly I got the right spring with it, so no need to fuss with that. Even part throttle low psi it releases quick.

tial2.jpg

tial3.jpg

tial1.jpg

Now for what I did today.

Last christmas my girlfriend bought me new black carpet for the talon. Well finally decided to put that in today. It came pre molded, and I could choose almost any color I wanted. I just went with black.

everything all torn apart:
Talon256.jpg

My front yard
Talon257.jpg

New next to old:
Talon258.jpg

Youll notice how its not cut. Thats the hard part, I found it was easier to cut the center piece out where it goes around the shifter out, then put it in the car. It was cut close to the right size, only a little triming on the side door panels, most of the cutting was under the dash or under the rear seats.
Then you just cut holes for the seats, the hatch and fuel latches and a few other misc holes. It fits fairly snug, im sure I could have got it a bit tighter, but its fine how it is, and It looks amazing.

Talon261.jpg

Talon266.jpg

Girlfriend thought taking pictures was more productive then helping
Talon267.jpg

And here is the end result. LMK if you want a better picture of the drivers side, but im sure you guys can picture it.

Talon268.jpg

Talon269.jpg

Damn this car has come a long way, loving every step! +1 on the GF who buy car parts =)

I had her order it off ebay. If I can find the link Ill post it up. I highly recomend it. They make molded carpet for any car I believe.

As long as you dont mind cutting and doing a little bit of work.

Update:
7-26-12

This isnt an update on the talon, at least not this talon. I purchased another dsm! I picked up a 96 Eagle Talon AWD auto. There has been alot of work and money put into this thing. But it still needs some tender loving care.

Ill list what the car has done:
ETS FMIC
Tial BOV
1g TB
Spark Tech COP
FP manifold
FP Bigt28
FP Intake
Turbo back exhaust
ECMlink v3 with speed
Wideband
Fuellab FPR
Fuel feed from stock filter
Has 450cc installed now but included FIC 950's

He said the owner before him had the engine rebuild. I did a compression test and it turned out perfect. I poped the valve cover off and took a look and it did look clean, so it did look to be done in the past 20,000 miles or so.

I bought it knowing it was running shitty. He installed link and speed density at the same time. He never tuned before. So it was running like shit when it ran at all.

First thing I did to it when I got it was change out the seats and clean the interior. He included a set of cloth seats as the leather ones were total shit. I gave the whole inside a good vacuuming and wipedown and installed a better center console and interior panels.

After that I went after an oil leak at the oil return. I just pulled the whole turbo as I wanted to make sure it truely was a Big t28 (it was) I finished installing the turbo today with new gaskets and a spare oil return I had laying around. I found it was leaking because one of the oil pan bolts were stripped to shit. So I tightened the one good one down good, and did the best on the stripped one, then siliconed the shit out of it. I know its just a band aid but Its holding oil with not a drop spilled. I changed the oil as well. Put new NGK spark plugs as well.

After that I set out on taking the speed density out, and stuck in the intake from my old talon onto it. I reset all the settings back to stock and walah. It ran perfect. Took it around the block for the first drive, and it ran great. Got on it a little bit and wow that t28 hits hard for being a little guy. I love automatic.

Anyways heres some pictures:

Talon275.jpg

Talon274.jpg

Talon273.jpg

Talon276.jpg

Talon271.jpg

Talon270.jpg

It has a 2gb Talon wing and a 2gb eclipse from bumper. Along with the twisty side skirts it looks amazing. And the paint is alot better then my other talon. No sun roof too! Which im stoked about. I dont care for sunroofs.

I have a wish list of future mods, but getting it to pass emssions and maintenance is first.

I already took the fp intake from it for the old talon. Im thinking Im going to take the Spark tech COP too. I think with a good tune and some tranny mods, this will be one fun dd.

Update 11-26-12

Its been a while since an update, lost interest in the journal thing as no one seems interested in my build. But thought Id update for shits and giggles.

I havnt done much since the last update. I tried to have it tuned, but my wideband is acting funny, and me any my buddy didnt feel comfortable turning the boost up or leaning it out much with a none working wideband.

I went to one of bandimeres last test and tunes. I hadnt been to the track in over a year, and the car has been under the knife for quite some time so it took a while to get used to.

The best run of that night with shitty tune and crap 60 ft was 13.6 at 101. My friend said she was puking black smoke down the track. If I could have leaned it out a bit Im sure I could have easily got into the 12's with a few more psi.

bandi.jpg

Im thinking I may have a bad wideband. It has always acted wierd. I just ordered a bunch of new parts for it including a new AEM wideband so hopefully this spring I can have a working wideband and a solid tune. I will be switching to e85 then too.

I also decided to change turbos last second. I saw the awesome sale on the FP HTA71 with the Tdo6sl2 turbine and I had to jump on it. I ripped out the hta68 and sold it yesterday. I also picked up a HX35 a few months back, if this hta71 doesnt perform (I bet it will) Ill be throwing the hx35 on it.
Goal for next season is 11.99 on stock bottom end and trans.
71hta.jpg

turbos.jpg

I also installed a bung on my throttle body elbow for speed density. I have the plug and play harness from link.

Only things I will be doing this winter are VR4 4 piston brake upgrade an installing a catch can set up. And of course getting that sexy 71HTA installed

2-27-13

Not much of an update. Its fairly cold here so motivation to get in the garage and get work done is minimal.

I did finally get my Calan catch can installed with my Hal cap.
Talon300_zpsc901e77b.jpg

Talon296_zps07f0780d.jpg

Also If you noticed I painted my Intercooler piping black, also Installed heat barrier throttle body gaskets in hopes that I wont get any faulty IAT readings.

Talon298_zps43b4cc45.jpg

Got my new AEM wideband and new glowshift boost gauge installed as well

Talon301_zps5e1aa2db.jpg

Talon302_zpsf0063a68.jpg

I ordered those new AVID racing tuner series motor mounts and started the install. Still need to install the tranny and rear mount.

Talon297_zps7a01dacb.jpg

Talon299_zpsb526e85b.jpg

Got my new FIC bluemax 1350's

Talon307_zps17f2bcd1.jpg

Other then that Ive just been waiting on weather to get good so I can work on my other talon. I need to swap out the stock DP and cat so I can get this thing to pass emissions. Alot of my focus has been on my other talon lately which if you want to see about is in my other build thread. This is my weekend/summer car and I have about a month and a half til the track opens so I have some time to get this thing road werthy

Thanks for checking in

I have only drove it a few times since the install. But so for at 15psi It feels stronger then the 68 at 18. I can tell this turbo will kick ass. I just need to get motivatied and get this thing tuned.

Wow that's a lot of work and dedication glad to see you not give up and keep plugging along and using FP products along the way.

-Michael

Not much of an update here but I got a couple updated pictures.

I got the stock downpipe on and cat so It can get emissions done. Tuning is going to start this week, hopefully it will pass on the maf. Soon after it will get switched to speed density. After driving it this last weekend I got really motivated to get it done. Two years of slow work this season I will finally see what this car can do.

Talon309_zps8802cdf4.jpg

Talon310_zps07daaa88.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back