The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tires locked up but now they spin

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhh i know

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 21, 2011
Wilmington, Ohio
So here is the question. My tires locked up on my ride (rear) and I got my car towed to my house. Being real busy with work and the kids I left it sit for a few weeks without messing with it. Then one day I went out to look at it. I started it up and put it in gear and they are now rolling just fine. What do you think might be going on with this situation. My thoughts are if the transfer case went out then it wouldn't start working again. Maybe its low on fluid or something? Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Well I finally got around to checking the transfer case and when I removed my drain plug (after removing my fill plug) I had absolutely no fluid come out.: ohdamn: And there was also a good amount of fairly large metal shavings all over the magnetic plug. So I guess I'll be ordering a rebuilt TC case from Jack tomorrow. Oh well at least I know where the problem is and I didn't wreck or hurt anyone when the tires locked up. Plus, I never changed a TC case so I'll get to dive into new waters with this fix.

Changing a TC case seems pretty straight forward an not really to bad. If anyone that has ever done it before has any helpful advice or tips from their experience feel free to throw it out there for me. Would be much appreciated! :thumb:

It's a simple operation. You will have to remove the down pipe, then just unbolt the 5x 14mm bolts. You may have to pry between the TC housing and the trans a little but it should be that tough.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That pic is of a automatic t-case witch has 6 bolts holding it. A 5-speed case is similar but has only 5 bolts. The only reason I bring it up is if the op is auto he will miss removing 1 bolt and be confused why the t-case will not come off.

Thanks for the info! Turbowing what do you mean it could be the center differential in the transmission. I would think that since the TC case doesn't have any fluid and metal shavings all in it that it is the TC case.

Now if I get a rebuilt TC case that will solve the problem of where it was leaking at right? I am getting one through Jacks Transmissions which comes with coupler, bearings, and seals (yoke and coupler).

Thanks for the info! Turbowing what do you mean it could be the center differential in the transmission. I would think that since the TC case doesn't have any fluid and metal shavings all in it that it is the TC case.

Now if I get a rebuilt TC case that will solve the problem of where it was leaking at right? I am getting one through Jacks Transmissions which comes with coupler, bearings, and seals (yoke and coupler).

Yes it is mostly likely your tcase that locked up. It was a recall with the leaking drain plug at 1 time I think. Need a 3" extension 3/8th ratchet and 17mm socket to unbolt the tcase. Exhaust bolts are usually take 17mm or 19mm nuts.

I've never heard of the leaking drain plug recall, going to have to look that one up. However, I had the driveshaft repair yoke recall done many many years ago. But what I was worried about is if the driveshaft yoke could possible be leaking again, or with the replacement one from the recall if there is even that possibility anymore. Would just hate to put a whole new t-case on and still have a leak and have to take it all back off. I tried looking under the car to see where it was leaking from but due to my leaking oil return line (which I'm currently in the process of fixing) it is a mess under there right now so it's hard to make heads or tails of it.

The only reason I bring it up is if the op is auto he will miss removing 1 bolt and be confused why the t-case will not come off.
I found this one out the hard way, there are six on the auto t-cases.:)

Yes, pretty easy overall. You might have to get a little pissed at it and wiggle the crap out of it to get it to slide off though. Really the only advice i have on that.

That pic is of a automatic t-case witch has 6 bolts holding it. A 5-speed case is similar but has only 5 bolts. The only reason I bring it up is if the op is auto he will miss removing 1 bolt and be confused why the t-case will not come off.

Good eye, that is an auto T-case. However OP didn't specify so I was just going for a visual reference.

Yeah I should of mentioned it's a 5-speed. Good eye on reading others posts and ensuring I and others get all the information. This has got to be the most helpful forum I have ever used. We have a great community here!

I ordered my T-case from Jack's and am waiting for it to show up. Also went ahead and ordered another drive shaft yoke just in case that's where it was leaking.

Thanks for all the help guys.....looking forward to getting my ride back on the streets.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back