The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Tire/Wheel combo fitment issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THiCC ECLiPSE GSeX

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2020
Burlington, Connecticut
So I have a stock 2G Eclipse GSX, I am in need of new tires so I wanted to change wheels at the same time if possible. The car is stock ride height, I am looking at 18x10.5 +15 offset wheels and 18/275/35 tires, it looks like the driver side front wheel well liner would rub, where else would I rub? I am planning to cut the fender wheel wells later on and add a widebody so I can lower it, but not right away...

Last edited:
That combo will not even fit inside the wheel well. You will likely hit the fenders unless changes are made.
Why so wide anyway? Lots of good choices unless you're building a race car. Like a literal race car.

Yea you're not going to rub the wheel well, it's going to rub the outside of the fender. Unless you have aftermarket stiff suspension at factory height, the factory suspension cycles way too far to even consider that fitting without a pretty large over fender.

Edit stolen from gsxcitement's build thread. That a 9.5 +15 with a 275. You'll be a half inch farther out on each side.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Why so wide anyway? Lots of good choices unless you're building a race car. Like a literal race car.

I am looking at getting the NX widebody molded with the Veilside body kit.

Yea you're not going to rub the wheel well, it's going to rub the outside of the fender.

So even though the car has a 2"+ gap I will hit the fender rim? What about rolling the rear fenders?

Last edited by a moderator:
So even though the car has a 2"+ gap I will hit the wheel well rim? What about rolling the rear fenders?
Did you look at the pictures I posted? You'll be pulling 2" out of the fenders and quarters to clear that. He has a huge shim on the bottom of the front fenders to get it where they need to be. Watch your stock suspension cycle when you hit bumps in the road, that 2" absorbs real quick with the soft stock suspension. If you had coilovers with a stiff spring on them you would be able to do it, like most of the Autox guys do, but stock suspension is far too soft and will cycle right into the fender.

A 10.5 +15 is a crazy aggressive fitment for an evo, it's well beyond what any proper stock body dsm can run.

Did you look at the pictures I posted? You'll be pulling 2" out of the fenders and quarters to clear that. He has a huge shim on the bottom of the front fenders to get it where they need to be. Watch your stock suspension cycle when you hit bumps in the road, that 2" absorbs real quick with the soft stock suspension. If you had coilovers with a stiff spring on them you would be able to do it, like most of the Autox guys do, but stock suspension is far too soft and will cycle right into the fender.

A 10.5 +15 is a crazy aggressive fitment for an evo, it's well beyond what any proper stock body dsm can run.
The pic looks like he has an inch or less clearance tho, so you are saying 1" + coilovers ✅️ and 2" + stock suspension ❌️?

The pic looks like he has an inch or less clearance tho, so you are saying 1" + coilovers ✅️ and 2" + stock suspension ❌️?
I'm talking sticking out beyond the fender, not wheel gap. His car is lowered so naturally it has less wheel gap. Look at how far it's sticking out though. With 2" of wheel gap on stock suspension that will disappear after the first bump in the road. On top of that he has a 9.5" +15 and you want a 10.5. That will stick out another 1/2" from the fender to yours. You're going to hit one bump in the road and bacon the quarters and front fenders without cut fenders and an overfender on it.

So even though the car has a 2"+ gap I will hit the fender rim? What about rolling the rear fenders?
Bluntly. No you cannot use this at all. In no way can you run that combo on a stock car. You will crash into the fenders and cause body damage at a minimum and likely tire damage. It simply isn't possible. You will have lots of work to do to be able to run it safely

You're going to hit one bump in the road and bacon the quarters and front fenders without cut fenders and an overfender on it.

Ok, so no go. Thanks for answering my questions.

A couple more if you don't mind, I have the stock 17" GSX 5 spoke wheels and noticed wheel weight clips on them, does that mean my rims are bent? 1 on each rim.

Bluntly. No you cannot use this at all. In no way can you run that combo on a stock car.

Thanks for your reply. 👍

I also don't even know that the wheels/tires would clear the rear knuckles.

Apparently +22 clears by 1/8", +15 should have a bit more room.

So I guess my wheels/tires will have to wait a while. I want to disassemble the car, then cut the fenders, then acid dip for rust, then re-add seam sealer, then E-Coat, then re-paint black with widebody...

I guess I will get that done first. 😆

It will work but only just.

Im 18x10.5 using a 275 and 295 tire. My ET is 25 and i had to grind the knuckles F&R rear down a bit to make my fitment work but your going to be -10mm less then me so likely wont need to grind anything so just check to confirm.

The ONLY slight concern which possibly might happen is full lock might hit on the inner metal bodywork, other then that use coilovers and you wont hit the fender but and this is a big BUT you MUST use stiff springs! The stock system will motion too much and a 7kg spring setup wont be enough

So I guess my wheels/tires will have to wait a while... I want to dissasemble the car, then cut the fenders, then acid dip for rust, then re-add body filler, then E-Coat, then re-paint black with widebody... I guess I will get that done first. 😆
Hold up...you want to completely disassemble the car and completely dip it?
I'm sorry.....I'm not a politically correct kind of person but you're asking if wheels fit but you're planning this level of project? That is hundreds and hundreds of hours worth of work. And if you're going to that trouble you don't add body filler. You cut out the bad parts and replace them.

Please look at this.

What you have just stated is a HUGE budget and huge time cost.

It will work but only just.

Im 18x10.5 using a 275 and 295 tire. My ET is 25 and i had to grind the knuckles F&R rear down a bit to make my fitment work but your going to be -10mm less then me so likely wont need to grind anything so just check to confirm.

The ONLY slight concern which possibly might happen is full lock might hit on the inner metal bodywork, other then that use coilovers and you wont hit the fender but and this is a big BUT you MUST use stiff springs! The stock system will motion too much and a 7kg spring setup wont be enough
Thanks so much for your insight. I guess I will wait and do it right, I want to cut fenders, add widebody, and use air suspension.

I'm sorry.....I'm not a politically correct kind of person but you're asking if wheels fit but you're planning this level of project? That is hundreds and hundreds of hours worth of work. And if you're going to that trouble you don't add body filler. You cut out the bad parts and replace them.

Please look at this.

Wrong word, my bad, not body filler, seam sealer. 🙃

Thanks so much for your insight. I guess I will wait and do it right, I want to cut fenders, add widebody, and use air suspension.
Welcome. I built for Time Attack so im fairly wide. Im lower but not slammed and im running stock fenders but my shocks are setup properly so it does not hit the fenders

Please look at this.

I have someone near me that has owned 7 Eclipse 2Gs since they came out and has striped them to the frame, so I would be needing his help for disassebly and re-assembly. A lot of cost/time can be saved by acid dipping and not grinding the rust off with crazy man hours.

We're getting way off topic. If we're done with the wheel question please start a new thread or open up your old threads.

I have someone near me that has owned 7 Eclipse 2Gs since they came out and has striped them to the frame, so I would be needing his help for disassebly and re-assembly. A lot of cost/time can be saved by acid dipping and not grinding the rust off with crazy man hours.

So I myself have went through the tedious process of restoring the bottom/front/rear and wheel wells on my GSX, and it is extremely time consuming and expensive. There is absolutely no way you are going to be acid dipping the frame and this is where the time/cost comes in. Yeah the parts can easily be placed in a chemical container to be stripped and then painted/powder coated but that is really expensive too. Dude you are talking about a HUGE project that is extremely time consuming. Just giving you a heads up LOL. Look through my build and you will see I know what I am talking about. If you do it though man more power to you and keep us updated.

We're getting way off topic. If we're done with the wheel question please start a new thread or open up your old threads.

Thanks for your input.

Look through my build and you will see I know what I am talking about. If you do it though man more power to you and keep us updated.

Went through your build thread! Nice work! Love the attention to detail. I see where you are coming from on time + cost.

So I decided to get my winter wheel/tire setup instead, pics coming soon, looks nice and aggressive. 👌

Let me know if your getting rid of the stock gsx rims
I am yes, they would need to be refinished by someone, they will come with the tires (Michelin Premier A/S), the rears still have some tread and the fronts are bald. I am in CT BTW. 🙂

Last edited:
Here she is, still WIP, I have to finish making the custom center caps with mitsubishi logo. 😁👍

Michelin CrossClimate 2 @215/50/R17
RoadReady RRW-3796 17x7.5 +44

Had to get new front brakes, too, of course. At least they lasted me 81,000 miles. Lol. 🙃

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back