The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tire Size Recommendation Request

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I need to get rid of my heavy ass 19x8 axis se7en wheels and Marti at VIP garage offered me a really good deal on some 17x9 Rota -hyper silver- P45r's but I need to know what offset I need to make them fit right with some really wide tires (255+) for best possible traction. My car is a weekend warrior that I may use to drive to work occasionally during the week as well as to the track on weekends for drag and road racing. I have eibach pro-kit springs and tociko adjustables, so my ride is lower and stiffer than stock. I dont mind rolling my fenders if necessary and I dont mind if the wheels stick out from the wheel wells a little, but I don't wanna use spacers if it's gonna make my car look like a skateboarded ghettomobile. Anyone know the offset I need and max tire size I can get away with?

17x9 with a 35mm offset has been known to clear 255/40/17. If i remember correctly the highest offset Rota offers is 30mm so its gonna stick out probably 3/4"-1" all around.

225/45/17 would fit without a spacer.
235/40/17 would probably fit as is but they're a little small.
235/45/17 will require at least a 5mm spacer.
235/40/17 might fit with a 5mm spacer but closer to 10 would be better.

Typo here? Do you mean 245/40-17?

So if I buy 17x8" or 17x8.5" 30mm p45's can I still squeeze on a set of 245 or possibly 255 tires without them sticking out so much?

According to Rota website the 17x9 is the narrowest wheel they have for the P45R. You can get the P45F in a 17x8 32mm or 17x7.5 45mm but it won't have that sick concave look.

Honest opinions please...Would 3/4" to 1" sticking out of the wheel wells look horrible? Also, does anyone have pics of similar width and offset wheels on a 2g?

Looks are a matter of opinion. But having them extend beyond the fenders leads to two issues.

1) Fender contact with your tire. You need a stock height suspension or one developed to handle the two from contacting
2) Wider wheels will kick all sorts of debris down the side of your car.

Here are some threads that show 255/40/17 on 17x9-35. One thread has Konis w/ H&R springs. The other with Mullerized JICs

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/238895-kosei-k1-ts-17x9.html
Picasa Web Albums - asian312 - Suspension an...

TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM

1. My car is a:
2G GSX - '99

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 16
Width: 7
Offset: +43mm (Enkei RPF-1)

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered
Tokico Springs (1.75" drop) and Tokico Illuminas

4. If suspension is lowered,
Front and rear camber kits will be installed.

5. Rear fender flange rolling:
No.

6. My driving style is:
c) Street and Strip. It is a low 12/high 11 sec car and will soon be in the mid 11's. I also plan on going farther later this winter/next spring, possibly low 11's. It sees mostly street use, but I want to be able to hookup well at the drag strip.

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:
Yes, if I go with a street tire, I've searched heavily and decided on a 225/50/16. But most DR's are wider and may or may not be taller. I'm also unsure as to what tire to choose for my future goals (see 6), whether it be a DR or street tire. Once that is decided, if a DR is the proper choice I'll need help with size. If a street tire is the proper choice, I think a 225/50/16 will work fine.

Thanks

TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM

1. My car is a:
2G GSX - '99

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 16
Width: 7
Offset: +43mm (Enkei RPF-1)

Tokico Springs (1.75" drop) and Tokico Illuminas

Front and rear camber kits will be installed.

No.

6. My driving style is:
c) Street and Strip. It is a low 12/high 11 sec car and will soon be in the mid 11's. I also plan on going farther later this winter/next spring, possibly low 11's. It sees mostly street use, but I want to be able to hookup well at the drag strip.

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:
Yes, if I go with a street tire, I've searched heavily and decided on a 225/50/16. But most DR's are wider and may or may not be taller. I'm also unsure as to what tire to choose for my future goals (see 6), whether it be a DR or street tire. Once that is decided, if a DR is the proper choice I'll need help with size. If a street tire is the proper choice, I think a 225/50/16 will work fine.

Thanks

Hoosier makes a drag radial that is 225/50/16 go to jegs.com . Since your wheels are 7" 225/50 is the perfect size and you will not rub with that offset.

i am looking at a set of 17x8.5 black rota slipstreams with a +38mm offset. they are brand new with new falkien tires for 700, i think these is a steal! i am wondering if i will have any issues/problems with fitting these big wheels on my 97 fwd tsi. my car isnt lowered YET but i want to get coilovers very soon.

any input is much appreciated!

Well we need to know the LUG pattern and tire size. I think with THAT wide of a wheel and that small offset they will rub on the inner edge of the wheel. The best way to tell is to test fit one.

I have 17x8.5" with 35mm offset and 255/40/17 RT615. As long as the lug pattern is 5x114.3 your are good.

Warning they will stick out past the fender and you can NOT slam your car (i have 2 finger gap in the front and 3 in the back). If you want to run 245 or 255 you need some fairly stiff coilovers in the future, if you want to avoid rubbing.

the tires that they come with are Falken Ziex ZE912 in 245/40/17. i have already ordered 15x7 slipstreams +40 offset and since i have i cant stop thinking about how small their going to look and or stupid. i do not want to look like a honda civic :notgood:. with these 15's i was planning on wrapping them in MT et street drags (235/60/15) I WANT TRACTION :D

i just need opinions on how EITHER would look mainly what you guys think of a 15x7.
thanks again!

wret, I have looked at your charts in the "Will These Wheels / Tires Fit" thread, but I see that the tire you used as the "factory" tire is the factory tire for the 16" wheels.

As far as I know, and as far as I have read, the '97+ AWDs all came with the 17" wheels. According to the VFAQ on 2G fitment, the stock tire for the 17" wheels was a 215/50-17.

I just wondered how that would affect your 17" wheel chart. I'm assuming the only difference it would make is in the "%Diff from Stock", meaning some of the tires marked orange wouldn't deviate as much from stock tire sizes. Figured it was worth mentioning/asking about.

While that write up does not declare what stock size was used as baseline, you may have inferred that the baseline is 205/55/16, in which case you would be correct. You are also correct in assuming the only difference if 215/50/17 was the baseline would be the values in the "%Diff from Stock" column. None of the other clearances would be affected. The numbers in that column would be 0.8% lower for all the tables. My numbers assume that the final gear ratio and speedometer calibration were designed around the 16-inch wheel and the 17-inch wheel was an afterthought (with no other driveline compensation). I may be wrong but either way it's a relatively minor deviation.

Just looking for some guidance with the rims I am looking at right now

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 17
Width: 8
Offset: 48mm

b) One to 1.5 inches

a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.

a) My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary.

6. My driving style is:

d) Street and Autocross.

a) Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 17"
Width: 8"
Offset: +42mm

b) One to 1.5 inches

a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.

a) My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary.

6. My driving style is:
d) Street and Autocross.

a) Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.

What is the maximum size tire I can fit on this wheel? This is for an Awd 2g, Thanks.

No, sorry Briuah. I don't advise for 1g fitment.

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM GSX

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 17"
Width: 6.5"
Offset: Unsure, stock wheels off a 00-02 Eclipse

Suspension is stock and do not plan on lowering it.

b) I will not roll the fenders.

6. My driving style is:
b) Street only, but I like to feel secure on twisty roads.

b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do.

Right now I have some 215-45-17's on my car, they are dry rotted to hell and I need some new tires. I would like to go wider if possible, what can I fit without rubbing? I drive 70 miles a day to school and back with lots of banked 90 degree turns...

235/40/17 will fit on the rims, and it shouldnt rub, it will keep the same overall height as the tires you have and give you a slightly larger contact area, but it will however give you more rolling resistance decreasing your mpg, but better traction

Any idea how much mileage would be affected? I would think only a 2-3 mpg loss maybe, but 40's aren't as tall either so a smaller tire height wise should gain some MPG compared to a taller tire correct? Either way I would like a wider tire for most traction...

no the tires will almost identical in overall height, the first number is section width, the second number is the aspect ratio, so it would be 40% of 235 instead of 45% of 215 which turns out to be about the same thing. usually for every 20 on the section width you can go 5 on the aspect ratio without compromising ride height. mpg will only be slightly decreased if you get the same type of tire, there are other factors, like compounds, and air pressure ,some tires can inflate to higher pressure (51 psi instead of 44) mind you when you inflate to maximum psi the gas milage does get a little better but you will lose wet traction ( and dry for that matter)

its a win lose with tire size / mpg, a smaller tire would require less power to reach a certain speed, but constant driving at a certain speed would make you run at a slightly higher rpm, so even if a larger tire takes more power and use more gas to get to a certain speed , it would put you at a lower rpm while driving highway because of a larger footprint, mpg is mainly based on your driving style.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back