The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tire and Wheel Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocCitySlayer

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2011
Rochester, New_York
Im posting my rims on my local craigslist for sale or trade for 17" wheels. My question is what would be a good size, wheels and tires I should consider?

Pics of wheels and tires you suggest would be appreciated if possible:thumb:

im trading my rims (evo 8's) for advan rs 18x9 :) I love the way those look...but idk about that 45mm offset:hmm:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:thumb:

What's your budget for wheels/tires and what do you plan to use them for? Do you plan on upgrading to Evo Brembo brakes in the future?

All these things need to be considered when shopping for wheels.

:dsm:

17x7.5 Integral SSR rims on 235/45/17 Sumitomo HTR Z3 tires.

I love them, just wish they were wider and could fit Brembos :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I could easily run as wide as 245/40 without rubbing with 2Gb suspension on mine.

damn... I finally updated my profile and put in an avatar pic. No idea why avatar pic is flipped on it's side.

Last edited by a moderator:
The roads here are rough. I would never run 19s here. A buddy of mine did. Bought some really expensive SSR19s and actually broke a big chunk out of one within 6 months. Also 19s are heavy. For occasional track and mostly street driving the 17s work very well. A 16 would work better at the strip. I bought wheels specifically for the strip.

Did someone fix my avatar pic? Now it's sitting the right way. And my car actually isn't that high off the ground. It was sitting up on jackstands for a year so it has settled a bit since. Still sits kinda too high.

I have rpf1s and they are awesome! Light, good looking, and not horribly expensive.

I kinda like the Ninja wheels in black. I like to run at the least a 8" wide wheel. I want to trade my OZs for 17X9s. I keep an eye out on EvolutionM.org website for member's wheels for sale. You can find some really good deals on there!

Can't argue with the RPF1s. Those are badass wheels!

Stuky did yo ever get a chance to weigh them without tires? Just the wheel weight? I have always liked those wheels. What width did you choose?

Putting Sumitomos on SSRs should be a crime. :)

Just out of curiosity, have you read about the HTR Z3's? I've read a little about them and previously considered them for my own car. I'm betting the car is more capable than you might imagine, apart from it's ride height. For something like $100 a tire they're pretty much impossible to beat. The main attraction is that the performance is very high for having a treadwear in the 300's.

As much as I'd love some Star-Specs or some RE070s or whatever other tire is going to cost me damn near $1600 a year to run - it's just not practical.

I'm getting off-topic now, but is there a Jtoby approved tire with a treadwear of 300+? Would you have said the same thing if she had KDW2's, that it ought to be a crime?

Until Sumitomo figures out that a sidewall needs to made of something stiffer than overcooked lasagna, I will not say anything nice about them. KDWs, at least, can move water, so they have a reason for existing. :)

With that said, I don't think I've bought a tire with a UTOQ above 200 in more than ten years and all my experience on things like Exclaims, HTRs, KDWs, etc, is at least five years out of date.

The best tires for the money right now, IMO, is the R-S3. As long as it isn't pouring, they are responsive and predictable, with a pretty high limit. If it does rain, get the StarSpecs. Both are under $800 for a set.

Ideal for what? Drag-racing? Comfort? Road-racing? Autocrossing?

(And if you say anything like "all of them" don't wait on the edge of your seat for a reply.)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back