The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

tips on rebuilding a 4g63 block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastdsm1

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2002
springfield_massachusetts
hey guy's Im in the process of rebuilding my spare 4g63 engine.I placed a order with MachV motorsports for their complete engine rebuild kit.The kit includes a complete gasket set,pistons and rings,main and rod bearings,thrust bearings,timing belt,balance shaft bearings,expansion plugs,and oil pump.What Im looking for is any tips or advice on things to look out for during the rebuild of the engine.thanks

First find a good machinist if you haven't yet, make the block perfectly in spec.

Next, Don't rush. Make sure all of your clearances are in spec.. Double check. Triple check.. If it doens't fit right, it means something is wrong, don't force it to fit.

Patience..

Make sure you have a shop manaul or the equivalent to have all your clearances handy.

Hey I am thinking about buying that rebuild kit too. Let me know how it works out for you.

Originally posted by Defiant
Your machinist will. And if he's good, he'll explain things to you.

I will actually be putting the motor together myself... it's already been taken apart. I just finding out as much as I can for my first rebuild, and I just never heard of assembly lube before.

regardless of if you are putting it together yourself.. I seriously doubt that you have a torque plate, or you will be resurfacing / leveling the block deck, resurfacing the head mating surface (why you need a machinest.).. Unless of course, you have these thousands of dollars in equipment, then you are my new friend.. Assembly lube is a (I think moly based lube) Used to lubricate parts until you crank it up for the first time and the oil pump spreads oil through out the engine to lubricated it.. It keeps surfacing from being marred and scratched. It keeps metal on metal contacts from binding (mainly your bearings.)

aside from all of that, get a NEW front case, remove your balance shafts, try not to take more than .020 out of the block and head... use a metal headgasket properly calculated with how much you shaved and the compresison you want to be running so you can get as close to it as possible... use ARP head studs, and make sure to do everything else you can to the car and motor that you wouldnt normally be able to do if the motor were removed...

Originally posted by swing lo
I think that's why he asked for some guidence, don't you think?:talon:

Seconded. Besides, it's so easy to say someone "shouldn't" do something if they don't have the background of doing it before, but then you have to wonder where do they start?

Answer? Right here on this thread.

Originally posted by JoeZ
Seconded. Besides, it's so easy to say someone "shouldn't" do something if they don't have the background of doing it before, but then you have to wonder where do they start?

Thank-you:talon:

I appreciate all of the advice on my rebuild, even though I didn't start this thread. I will keep checking up on it in case anybody else has any other suggestions.
What I know about putting together a shortblock may not be very extensive, but what I've leaned, i've learned from asking questions, and being lucky enough to have patient people to explain them to me.
Thanks

Originally posted by Cesar
I appreciate all of the advice on my rebuild, even though I didn't start this thread. I will keep checking up on it in case anybody else has any other suggestions.
What I know about putting together a shortblock may not be very extensive, but what I've leaned, i've learned from asking questions, and being lucky enough to have patient people to explain them to me.
Thanks

Thanks like that makes giving help well worth it.

I will also be rebuilding my block for the first time. So keep me informed of anything tricky that you come across, or just how everythings going. And how much you like your rebuil kit, or if you would have rather gone with a different kit.
Thanks a lot:dsm:

Originally posted by JoeZ

THANK YOU MAN!!!!!!! some of these "pro's" need to realize we just wanna be as good as them some day but there is only one way to start.

Guys, this guy is just asking for some help so he doesn't make a mistake. Now there are two ways to go about this, give him no information and hope that he assembles it wrong, or at least try to help him. I belive anyone can assemble a motor, it is just the process of doing it corretcly is in question. With some guideance, both on the forums and off he can do it. Assembly is not a terrible hard thing to do, it is in checking all the clearences (very simple) and making sure nothing goes unlooked. If anyone has a motor assembly question give me a hollar, i'd rather help then watch a person blow a large sum of money by not knowing.

-Shain

Originally posted by TurboGeoff
What is the advantage of having 2g pistons with 1g rods?
Little bit more compression. It's a good cheap mod and well worth it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back