The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Tint Removal [Merged 12-7] removing film taking off scraping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just as it says. I have tint on the rear left window. Its the only window with tint on it and its bubbling and looks purple. Looks like ass, I want to remove it. Any tips for making it easier?

If you have been trying to get the goop off from removal of your window tint, I used to be in your shoes. I tried everything from goo-gone, and rubbing compound to coca-cola and nothing seemed to work. One day I left my car at my girlfriend's house and she tried something new and it worked like a charm! Fingernail polish remover (acetone) and a brillo pad. Just thought I would let everyone in on the news.

I just ripped my tint off and I had some window cleaner that did the job quite well, I also used a brillo pad. The only thing that would concern me about the nail polish remover is that I have a painted interior and I would be worried about messun up the door panels, but then again 4 screws and they pop right off. Is there any disadvantages to using nail polish remover? I wonder if it would attack the weather stripping and ruin it if it came in contact. I dunno but as with anything as long as your careful you will probably have no problems. Thanks for the advice.

Ammonia maybe? have you tried that? When you go to a tint shop that is what they use to take tint off. You can buy ammonia from any store basically for like a buck a gallon. I'm sure you know that already, but if not i hope it helps for maybe next time. :thumb:

Ammonias the best, but put it on before you peel the film off or else the film seperates into two and then even with the ammonia (sp?) its hard as hell to get off the window.

Pretty sure it is. The big part is that scraper. I did mine easily with a razor scraper and windex.

alright cool bc i gotta take off my front window tints to get it inspected unfortunally. ####in jersey

MikesDSM said:
alright cool bc i gotta take off my front window tints to get it inspected unfortunally. ####in jersey

Same crap happened to me. Honestly i kinda liked it better without the tint.

nah i like tint. car looks better tinted imo. not good for night but it hides the blunts from cars next to you :laugh:

i have a question. I was goin to get my tint redone cause the tint that came on my car is messing up in the rear. I wanted to see if i liked the car w/out tint but i was told that if i take the tint off the rear window that my defrost on the rear would no longer work?!?! could someone please let me konw any information on this like is it true?

No you just have to be careful when taking it off with a razor. if you slice up one of defrost lines it won't work anymore.

I removed some tints recently. The side windows were pretty easy. When it came to the rear hatch, the top layer came off no problem, but the colored bottom layer did not. Now its impossible to get the bottom layer off with a razor blade, it wont peel, it just breaks off.

I searched and found out that there is a special procedure for taking off the tint on the rear glass with ammonia or simple green. Yes, I should have done my homework.

Could I just heat up the remaining layer with a heat gun and peel it off with a razor blade? Is there a temperature at which I could do this without cracking the glass?

The tint on the drivers side window (by the side mirror corner) is pealing. What should i do? How do i take off the tint?

removing your tint depends on the type of tint and how old. if its baked on(more than 6 months) or its a low grade tint(walmart) you will more than likely have to do some scraping, i personally dont like to use any harsh removal agents. some goo gone and a razor blade will get the job done real quick. if the tint isnt baked on you might be able to lift a corner with a heat gun and pull the whole sheet right off, if its a decent grade film you can probably pull the whole sheet off but there will be a layer of adhesive still on the window, refer to the googone and razor method above. good luck

razor blade, rubbing alchohol and a beer

Make sure you drink a case BEFORE you start doing it, so that way you won't notice you're pulling off your rear defroster. :thumb:

Another words, don't use a razor blade on your back window. Take it from a "Been There, Done That" guy. :sosad:

well jackhammers might be a lil overkill :p but i remember redo-ing an interior not that long ago where the cars owner decided to remove the tint with easy-off..... guess i shoulda specified. Then again she was blonde and her b/f was always high so i might not have needed to add that tid-bit of info .... LOL

The consensus I've come up with is ammonia or your local auto part store's tint remover, in conjunction with a garbage bag and glass scraper.

Coat the window with the ammonia/tint remover, cover with a garbage bag so it doesn't evaporate, then let sit for a half hour. Everything should come off nice and easy, including the sticky residue.

Do NOT use the scraper on the back window, as mentioned before, because it will ruin your defrosters. If this is for a rear window I would just take it to a local tint shop, it's not worth the hassle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back