The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

timing??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The ECU will advance your timing pretty aggressively for you already, as long as you're not detonating. I get the impression that you'd be better off leaving your base timing alone in the sort of trim you're in and working on tuning to keep it advanced.

As you can see from my mod list, I'm only a little further along than you at this point; with some moderate tuning I'm seeing ~20deg of advance at WOT with only a small spike of knock (6-7 counts) all the way to redline. I don't think that increasing base timing much beyond that is going to do anything other than increase the risk of knock.

An aside; I picked up a tip here a while back to try to maximise timing advance, even at the cost of absolute boost, and I have to say that initial tuning has really borne that out. At 12psi and making ~20deg the G-tech thinks the car is significantly stronger than when I was making 15psi but only getting ~10deg. So doing it safely (ie. letting the ECU do it!) is definitely worth pursuing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back