The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseTurbo

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Northwest, New_Jersey
ok so im of a couple teeth of on my timing belt on my 98 eclipse.
My question is : the TDC that timing belt has to be aligned is it 5 btdc or 10 btdc( or I T or any other number ? that my timing cover shows. After aligning that my oil pump is off and exhaoust cam , and i did rotate it 6 times trying but dont want to mess the vales up.
So can i just rotate them to proper postions after loosing the belt ??? I searched and couldnt find the answer to that and i just want to be sure i dont breake anything .
Thank you

first, lets tap that caps lock key to "off" :cool: when you are lining your marks up you use the TDC mark...the 5 and 10 are for setting your ignition timing....a "few teeth" can be a lot worse than you think....exactly how far off is it? you may have bent your valves already

Its off by alot , i did it when i was changing my harmonic balancer .
There is no TDC letter on my timing belt cover, i only see BTDC 10 and I T , with 2 other lines in there . what is it???? . I might have bend the vales while cranking or rotating , that why i want to realing it and then check compressioin .
Thank you for your reply

Anyone knows the answer to this question .
Where Is The TDC mark on the plastic cover.
I got some much work to do on the car and things like this are killng it.

I dont think you can check cam timing based on the ignition timing plastic marks. Why would you think your cams are out. did something happen other than you messing wtih your pulleys? where you driving and it stopped running? or are you just trying to install new pullys an noticed that they dont line up according to the plastic timing cover?!? I am thinking you are confussed about timing and are just worried. If the car ran fine before you started changing pullys then it should be fine but if you wanna check you needa take off the plastic timing cover and line up the crank pully notch with the lil arrow and then check if the cams are lined up. you might be able to check it by just taking off the harmonic balancer and looking at the timing marks. If you are totally lost on the timing check the WWW.VFAQ.com for timing belt timing pictures

[Hey thanks for your reply , turns out its the IT mark and also i found the notch which i wasent so sure about and its hard to see from under the car. After I aligned the cams straight accross i got it pinpointed . I was having a problem taking out a top timing belt scew becaouse of limited space and i was hoping just to realign the belt . Thats why the proper mark was important and i couldnt see the cams. I rotated the pulley ccw thats why
i need to fix it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back