The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Timing trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerkoons

Probationary Member
Feb 17, 2015
Springfield, Missouri
Hey guys, I have a 1990 1g 2.0l turbo that I'm trying to get put back together. I'm having a timing issue though.

When I get the flywheel sprocket lined up the #1 cylinder is not anywhere near top dead center like the manual says it needs to be. The repair manual says that the cylinders are in this order _ 3214 _ ( if you are facing the front of the car as shown in the pictures). In the pictures you will find that I have the flywheel sprocket lined up (basically) and that the #1 cylinder is halfway down while the #4 cylinder is top dead center (I think).

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Your help is much appreciated!!!

Attachments

• KIMG0066.JPG
    KIMG0066.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 142
  • KIMG0067 (1).JPG
    KIMG0067 (1).JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 125
  • KIMG0068.JPG
    KIMG0068.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 139
Number 1 cylinder is on your right side next to the timing belt. So move your screw driver over one to the right. The 3rd pic you posted has the screw driver in the right cylinder (#1). The cylinder order is 1234. 4 being next to the transmission. The order you posted (3214) or (4123) is for the ignition wires. :) Once you have that all lined up. Make sure your cams are on there marks with the dowels at 12oclock. Also have to make sure your oil pump sprocket is in phase. Also recommend replacing your balance shaft belt if it's not been deleted. And also make sure to replace the hydraulic tensioner, and use quality oem parts.

Last edited:
You should find the following resources helpful for timing service on your 90 DSM:

http://vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Set the crank at its mark, there is no possible way for the cylinders to be incorrectly positioned unless you have bent the rods in half with your sorcery. The important part is the cam gears are also aligned at top dead center so you do not damage the valves

I would reccomend replacing your cam seals now, they like to leak all over your fresh timing components if they are old and dried out

Thanks everyone, I will take a look at the videos soon and see if that helps! (I also did replace the valve stem seals underneath the cam lobes if that's what you are referring to).

FYI a 1990 does have the firing order in 3214 ignition firing order, just like all three of mine.

Also ChryslerKid was speaking about the camshaft seals that are on the front of the cams.

1-3-4-2 is the correct firing order for the 4G63.
3-2-1-4 is the wire position coming from the coil.
No.1 next to the cam sprockets and work left to the transmission.

Is it really?? It looks like the manual says that the firing order is 3-2-1-4???

Granted, the 420A has the crank pulley on the left (passenger) side, but the 4G63 runs the crank pulley on the right (driver's side) making No. 1 to the right with No.4 next to the transmission.

1234 from left to right facing the front of the car
Thus, we go 4321 - right to left - when we work on a 4G63.

Is it really?? It looks like the manual says that the firing order is 3-2-1-4???

Would we mislead you with this issue? Bet if you look towards the front part of the repair manual (which manual are you using anyway?), somewhere in there will display the correct firing order.

Bet you are looking at a picture of the coil pack and where the spark plug wires are heading to. This picture is how the spark plug wires should be laced from coil pack to plugs so no cross firing can occur.

With any multi cylinder combustion motor, No.1 is always the first to fire and static timing is done with crank at TDC with No. 1 at the compression stroke.

Been that way for years.

Good luck - DSM

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back