The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Timing tensioners

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmvenge

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2011
Crown point, Indiana
I've searched never found straight answer I had an early
95 tensioner, on my 96 block I ordered a later one 97-99 it's longer but appers to be a beefier version of the early 95 just a half inch longer bolted up makes contact with tension arm anyone have a solid answer

Why didn't you get the one for your year, it seems you got a different one for the car you have. Beefier as how it seems the rod is longer, from how you describe it.

When he bought his car it had a bent rod so we bought a used 7 bolt short block (unsure of exact year) that still had everything bolted up to it except the head and manifolds obviously. We did a BSE installed some ARP's and threw it all together reusing parts we shouldnt have like the timing belt and some seals. This was just a rush install we did on weekend just to get it on the road, not thinking it would hold together very long. Well it ended up holding together so now 2 years later we are trying to do it right. We are unsure of which parts from the two blocks, and my collection of exrta parts, we had on hand made it onto the block we installed in the car.

There is clearly a difference between the 2g tensioners. We have both been searching for info on this but there is little out there. The arm that the tensioner makes contact with dont seem to differ between 2g model years nor does the front case. Since those are the only 2 things the tensioner come in contact with is it safe to assume we can use any 2g tensioner? Anyone with experience on this matter?

Get the vin from the block and consult vfaq about which year the block was manufactured. Then buy the correct parts for that year of block.

:applause: Thanks that thought never crossed our minds.

I do believe you are missing the point of this thread.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back