The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Timing questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dano1992

Probationary Member
Jul 30, 2021
Ohio
So I recently purchased a 1993 talon tsi. And the guy had told me he had replaced the 6 bolt head with a 7 bolt head, internals and all. Opened the head bolt holes as well. Now I'm wondering is there anything else that needs to be done in that process.
Second I'm going to be doing the timing belt and was wondering if you had todo anything with the timing when you change the head just so I know I get everything lined up right. Visuals appreciated.

Opening up the head bolt holes should be all that's needed to install a head from a 7-bolt engine on a 6-bolt block.

You say you have a '93 - that should have been a 7-bolt to start with?

Nothing changes for the timing procedure when you change the head. Follow the proper procedure for the engine block.

So I recently purchased a 1993 talon tsi. And the guy had told me he had replaced the 6 bolt head with a 7 bolt head, internals and all. Opened the head bolt holes as well. Now I'm wondering is there anything else that needs to be done in that process.
Second I'm going to be doing the timing belt and was wondering if you had todo anything with the timing when you change the head just so I know I get everything lined up right. Visuals appreciated.
Remember that there are 1g and 2g 7-bolt engines so you need to determine which 7-bolt you have; They're different.

Remember that there are 1g and 2g 7-bolt engines so you need to determine which 7-bolt you have; They're different.
Not to call you out but given he is a 1g it's likely this is a 1g 7 bolt.
OP if you are not aware 2g does not have provisions for the motor mounts front and rear on the block so it is not a bolt in to do a 2g motor in a 1g. 1g in a 2g it is a bolt in.
So take a look. You should have a 1g motor.

I was referring to the head, not block.
Good grief total brain fart. I got it now. The op stated he has a 6 bolt shortblock.
Good point though op should figure out if it's a 1g or 2g 7 bolt head.

BTW to anybody reading. A big pet peeve of mine is not everything can be described as 6 bolt or 7 bolt such as described here. 1g or 2g often come into play as well.

Opening up the head bolt holes should be all that's needed to install a head from a 7-bolt engine on a 6-bolt block.

You say you have a '93 - that should have been a 7-bolt to start with?

Nothing changes for the timing procedure when you change the head. Follow the proper procedure for the engine block.
Ok any easy way for me to tell if the block is 6 or 7 bolt then it's hot quite a few miles on it

You're going to find yourself in Newbie Graveyard territory with questions like that. ;)

Short answer is, YES! Very easy ways to determine if you have a 6- or a 7-bolt. Here's some threads to start with:

6bolt or 7 bolt

[RESOLVED] Oil Pan Identification

6 Bolt or 7 Bolt?

Do i have a 6 bolt or 7 bolt?

how do i know if i have a 6bolt or 7 bolt with out motor tear-down

physical difference between 6 and 7 bolt blocks

how do you tell if it is a 6 bolt or 7 bolt

The difference between 6 bolt and 7 bolt.

You're going to find yourself in Newbie Graveyard territory with questions like that. ;)

Short answer is, YES! Very easy ways to determine if you have a 6- or a 7-bolt. Here's some threads to start with:

6bolt or 7 bolt

[RESOLVED] Oil Pan Identification

6 Bolt or 7 Bolt?

Do i have a 6 bolt or 7 bolt?

how do i know if i have a 6bolt or 7 bolt with out motor tear-down

physical difference between 6 and 7 bolt blocks

how do you tell if it is a 6 bolt or 7 bolt

The difference between 6 bolt and 7 bolt.

Lol I'm still a beginner homie. But ok so it's 6 bolt swapped and he put the 7 bolt head on.

Ok thank you I didn't know I the timing marks had to be set different. And what about Oil passages. I heard you should widen them as well??
No. That's incorrect. The marks aren't different. The tension procedure is slightly different and there are 4 different hydraulic tensioners spanning the 9 years

Lol I'm still a beginner homie. But ok so it's 6 bolt swapped and he put the 7 bolt head on.
Yes but remember 7 bolt can be had in both 1g and 2g. And it's not the oil passages that are opened up. As stated above the head bolt sizes are different. To bolt a smaller diameter head bolt, 7 bolt head both 1g or 2g onto a 6 bolt block you open up the head bolt holes.
I'm assuming you understand 6 bolt and 7 bolt are merely descriptors for the purposes of this discussion.

No. That's incorrect. The marks aren't different. The tension procedure is slightly different and there are 4 different hydraulic tensioners spanning the 9 years

Yes but remember 7 bolt can be had in both 1g and 2g. And it's not the oil passages that are opened up. As stated above the head bolt sizes are different. To bolt a smaller diameter head bolt, 7 bolt head both 1g or 2g onto a 6 bolt block you open up the head bolt holes.
I'm assuming you understand 6 bolt and 7 bolt are merely descriptors for the purposes of this discussion.
sorry i fat fingered it. i was wondering "if" they had to be different thank you for stating that but i am unsure of which 7 bolt head it is.

i am unsure of which 7 bolt head it is.
There are 3 types, 1g 6 bolt, 1G 7 bolt and 2g 7 bolt head.
Assuming nothing has been modified from original, you can determine which head you have without removing any parts by checking what thermostat housing and exhaust studs diameter the head has.
1g 6 bolt head : 1G style 3 bolts thermostat housing + all Nine exhaust studs are M8.
1g 7 bolt head : 1G style 3 bolts thermostat housing + Two M10 exhaust studs at both corner + Seven M8 exhaust studs.
2g 7 bolt head : 2G style 4 bolts thermostat housing + Two M10 exhaust studs at both corner + Seven M8 exhaust studs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back