The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Timing cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDubb

Probationary Member
Nov 5, 2003
VermontUS
i pulled my timing cover off to switch my tensioners and timing belt...when i had it off it cracked it half...i am still not running my car as of yet...but before i do run it should i purchase a new cover or is it really needed?...i have heard mixed thoughts on this question

-People has good luck without the timing belt cover on, but if something do happen, the damage is on your car, not their.

I agree with the before said post, I run without mine and have had no problems, but FYI, one can be picked up at a junk yard for next to nothing, as a matter of fact, I picked one up and they said just to keep it. So, if you trully insist on having one, send me a line and I will get you one and mail it to you at no cost.

not to hi-jack this thread or anything. . . but how in the WORLD is someone supposed to get the Upper half of the belt cover on? The part that goes between the Cam cover and the lower half of the cover

get an engine hoist and lift the engine up till the whole side you are working on is exposed then....

just playin...take off the top cover since there is no room to work...then slide the middle cover down in to place and either snap it on or work on the screws with a 90 degree extension (which is a trick since there is no room in there at all)...then put the top cam cover back on...cause if i read your post right the cover you got is in three pieces...which i would like better cause try gettin a single piece one off with out snapping it...which i did...but if you wanna make it easier put a jack with a piece of wood on top (like a 2x2) under your oil pan and jack the engine till it hits the saftey catch on the mount :D

Originally posted by JDubb
get an engine hoist and lift the engine up till the whole side you are working on is exposed then....

just playin...take off the top cover since there is no room to work...then slide the middle cover down in to place and either snap it on or work on the screws with a 90 degree extension (which is a trick since there is no room in there at all)...then put the top cam cover back on...cause if i read your post right the cover you got is in three pieces...which i would like better cause try gettin a single piece one off with out snapping it...which i did...but if you wanna make it easier put a jack with a piece of wood on top (like a 2x2) under your oil pan and jack the engine till it hits the saftey catch on the mount :D

Yeah, I have a 3-piece cover. . . reason I asked is because that piece actually snapped in half last time I tried to take it off. So I just want to avoid doing that to the replacement I have.

the only thing i can really tell you is to be very gentle and just work it in there (that did not sound like i was talkin about a timing cover:rolleyes: )

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back