The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Cannot seem to get timing belt right...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2004
aiken, South_Carolina
Been having a terrible time with this timing belt, just got a gates racing timing belt and cannot seem to get timing right. I start with everything lined up perfect but after I make the 6 revolutions and come back looks like I am half tooth off. Anyone know why?

trying but not very computer literate, tells me the image size is too large....

Attachments

• 2015-12-05 17.20.12.jpg
    2015-12-05 17.20.12.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 2015-12-05 17.23.40.jpg
    2015-12-05 17.23.40.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 100
ok so those pics are after I rotate the crank. comes up looking half a tooth off. I started on the exhaust cam, and worked to he intake cam, pulley, oil pump sprocket, crank, then tensioner, making sure it was tight at each step. have tried it several times now with this same outcome and have watched the vfaq and other tutorials, but no luck.... please help

you sir are correct, I put the crank on the money, then rotated the exhaust cam 1 tooth an reset the tensioner and seems to be all good now, rotated it 6 times till it came back around and was right on the money, thank you!

The exhaust cam always wants to rotate forward and the oil pump sprocket seems to always want to rotate a tooth to fit the belt

It really should be added to the vfaq to get a touch up paint to mark the cams, crank, and oil pump sprocket so you match tooth to belt. Made my belt job alot easier. There's no guessing, count the teeth between the markings and it's an exact match

Old belt
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

New belt

Crank marks and sprocket marked

The exhaust cam always wants to rotate forward and the oil pump sprocket seems to always want to rotate a tooth to fit the belt

It really should be added to the vfaq to get a touch up paint to mark the cams, crank, and oil pump sprocket so you match tooth to belt. Made my belt job alot easier. There's no guessing, count the teeth between the markings and it's an exact match

This is good advice. I did the same thing the 1st time I changed the timing belt (except I used white-out). Get everything lined up, one mark on each cam on the gear and old belt, one at the crank (didn't do one on the oil pump because of the BSE). Transfer the marks onto the new belt and line them up on the gears.

You should still mark the oil pump sprocket to ensure the tension between the crank and pump are correct. The oil pump typically wants to slide the belt back onto it off a tooth. Too much tension on the pump can lead to extra wear
You cant separately tension there. When you tension belt youre done. I dont follow what youre trying to do.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back