The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Kevlar timing belt a good idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green97gstspyder

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
newark, Delaware
At what point is a kevlar timing belt a good idea. Mods include hx35 turbo forged internals stock intake slightly ported to match head dual valve springs hks 272 cams looking for 25 to 30 on boost.

Agreed, there are plenty of different setups with a GATES, OEM, etc. and are producing major power. I replaced mine just last week with a GATES and doing perfect.

oem all the way. the timing belt is a big part of your engine you should never be cheap with it.

I thought the kevlar ones were the strongest? Or am i reading your post wrong

Consensus is stock style. What brand is best? And with added power on a daily driver how often should it be changed?

Ive used autozone advance auto and oem they all do well just replace everything, when you should, there is a thread on tb on these things.

I thought the kevlar ones were the strongest? Or am i reading your post wrong

Consensus is stock style. What brand is best? And with added power on a daily driver how often should it be changed?

Power is not transferred thru the timing belt so you don't need to upgrade when making more power. A gates or oem changed at the normal 60k interval will be fine.

i know alot of people running high hp dsm's/evo's with oem belt. I would never trust a regular dayco or goodyear belt. Is kevelar needed? Not really it is extra security but i have seen gates kevlar belts stretch as well. My suggestion is oem .. Im building a 900hp dsm in spring and i may only run oem tb.. good luck

Power is not transferred thru the timing belt so you don't need to upgrade when making more power. A gates or oem changed at the normal 60k interval will be fine.
Ehh, I half agree. While it's true that the belt doesn't transfer HP loads, a higher HP car can and usually does put greater loads on the belt itself. Most high HP cars have higher rate valve springs and higher lift cams. This equates to a greater force to open the valve and this greater force is transfered through the timing belt. There's also greater crankshaft harmonics at high HP and high RPM and those transmit into the belt causing it to deflect and/or stretch.

I'm not sure where we draw the line between when an OE belt is no longer satisfactory and a kevlar belt would be recommended, but I do feel that a stronger belt will be better at some point. Where ever that point is, it's pretty far up there. I've only ever used OEM timing belts and I haven't had an issue yet with running .433" lift cams up to 9K RPMs. Although I will be switching to a kevlar belt this year just in case.

No it's just not needed. Many cars are running 600-1,000 hp on oem belts. Kevlar is just a added sense of security.

Ive just brought my self the hks belts its not because im running big power i thought it was just safety and will also look great with my other purple items ;-)

I say kavlar is the best option if you need it but if not just go gates as there much cheaper and can be brought in the same materal aswell, i just like to spend money on what i think is the best wether i need it or not, if it needs to be replaced then i upgrade it to the highest spec,

i would say kevlar is good to have for peice of mind of strength especially if you want to continue your upgrading and kevlar will probably take long to wear out

The timing belt is worth it if you're protecting an investment. Otherwise I couldn't justify it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back