The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Is my Timing belt loose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSITurbo95

Probationary Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ohio, Ohio
Ok, so I just got done working on my car, and noticed my timing belt felt a little lose, but what do you all think?

Imageshack - mvi3191.mp4 - Uploaded by TurboTSI95

Is this a little lose, or is it fine? Also about replacing it, should I go OEM or aftermarket? What is the real difference in quality? Second, do I need the tensioner and both pulley's to replace the timing belt?

Ok, so I just got done working on my car, and noticed my timing belt felt a little lose, but what do you all think?

Imageshack - mvi3191.mp4 - Uploaded by TurboTSI95

Is this a little lose, or is it fine? Also about replacing it, should I go OEM or aftermarket? What is the real difference in quality? Second, do I need the tensioner and both pulley's to replace the timing belt?

I think it looks a little loose personally. You can't go wrong with OEM but aftermarket belts while most being stronger, still need(should) be replaced at the standard 60k interval. If you get a kevlar belt oiled then it'll need replaced right away as well. Anytime you do the belt, replace the pulleys and tensioner (why half ass it)

STM DSM TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT KIT

I highly recommend replacing the pulleys and autotensioner.

I trashed my head cause I half assed it. Lesson learned.

I went with OEM pulleys and a Gates timing belt from partsdinosaur.com

Edit: *Holy shit* that is loose .That's just asking for jumped timing and a trashed head.

Yeah I was going to go with oem pulleys and gates racing timing belt, with balance shaft eliminator kit.

Indeed. I thought it seemed a little lose, but wasent too sure. But this is my dd, so ill have to drive around on it until this stuff comes in and I can find someone to do it. I don't trust myself doing it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back