The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Replacing Timing Belt, what else should I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucid15

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Just checking what else i could/should do while i replace my timing belt such as revised lifters or cam gears or anything and what to buy, im looking for a goal around 400whp. Current Mods are in my profile.

definately the timing belt, all the pullies, and the auto tensioner.

I would consider water pump, and balance shaft elim.

I say yes to the revised lifters but I think you should wait on cams/cam gears until you get a bigger turbo.

Make sure you got a couple of zip ties or alligator paper clips, two 17mm (sockets on ratchets/wrenches...anything long) and make sure you got it spot on after you turn the crank over 6 six times and that you had the oil pump gear in phase if you don't elim. the b-shafts.

good luck:thumb:

-ryan

Balance shaft removal? Cam gears, Im planning to do my timing belt here soon and my list is 3g lifters, cam gears and possibly some cams after i do some research.

save the money from buying the gears and buy some other mods. throw the new gears on a new set of cams when you need em.

I would probably hold off on cams/gears right now until you get some more supporting mods. Definitely don't rush into modding your car, do it right.
I would replace the water pump, if it hasn't been done before. The originals tend to fail from 80-115k miles from my experience with dsms. If you have the extra money for a new hydraulic tensioner, go for it. If not, check it for leaking and then maybe replace when you install cams in the "not TOO far" future.
What fuel are you shooting to make your 400whp on?

Along with as above you may want to get an oil pump seal and cam seals. Do yourself a favor an check your compression first. A worn motor won't like the pressure from 400hp, make sure that motor is sealed internally! If you have a high mileage engine you may want to opt for a headgasket, rings, oil pump, etc. This is definately not all necessary, but a good idea when checking regular maintence items.
I wouldn't recommend removing the balance shafts because of the high oil pressure that causes seals to fail due to 100+psi of oil pressure. Just freshen up the balance shaft seal and belt. It cost the same and there is less vibration that causes bolt to rattle out, especially if you have solid or poly mounts.

So i am due for a timing belt change, and was thinking about what i should do while im doing it. Isn't it easier to upgrade the Cams while i do this? My goals are around 300-350 whp, and currently just have the basics with the Keydiver chip. If i upgraded the cams, and did fuel upgrades where would that put me? IM just trying to speculate and would love some opinions. Thanks guys/girls

ya i was planning on doing all the reccommended maintenance for the 120k milestone.

It is easier to change the cams while the belt is off! When you upgrade the cams you will need to bleed the lifters to compensate for the bigger lobes..

i just did the timing and water pump on my 2g. and while i was there, i said the hell with it let me take the head off, and do a new headgasket with arp headstuds! and im very glad i did! because i had a small misfire at early rpm's and it was cause i had a chipped exhaust valve that was leaking pressure! who woulda knew.. go for it, i recommend doing your headgasket!

about midrange budget... college student. so i look for the most popular upgrades that are the cheapest.

I want to be able to run 350-400 on Pump Gas, maybe 350 on 92?

You still haven't got the T-belt done?:D
Put a new Tensioner water pump and b-shaft belt with the t-belt At least and any other pulleys that look like they could use being replaced and any seals if you have any oil seepage

Your plans are to make 350 on your t-25? Not gonna happen...:rolleyes: You'll be lucky to make that on pump 92 with out alot more then what's in your profile. let alone on pump gas...

nope... funds have held me back. I will be upgrading my turbo once i decide on what go with, (evo 3 16g,Holset, or 50 trim).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back