The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

timing belt wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM's 4 life

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2011
Buffalo, New_York
I am not sure if this is normal but i just put this belt on. Is it possiably rubbing on something?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Not normal. The belt should not fray like that. Pull the timing covers off and take a better look.

Pulled the timing cover the crank sensor plate was slightly bent I bent it back colored it with a sharpie and and ran it to make sure none got rubbed off glad I caught that before it ruined the belt.

Pulled the timing cover the crank sensor plate was slightly bent I bent it back colored it with a sharpie and and ran it to make sure none got rubbed off glad I caught that before it ruined the belt.

If it were mine i wouldn't run that belt being that it is slightly damaged already.

I just spent $80 on it and ran my car for 2 mineuts the damage is not that bad

It's your car and your engine. You can do whatever you please.

Like bryanwheat, if it were my car, I'd get a new one. IMO, the cost of a new belt is nothing compared to rebuilding the engine.

Trim that up very carefully and you are golden. The factory trims more than that off each belt when they size them.

Fix it if you choose or have a bill at the machine shop for head work.

Have you seen many used timing belts come off of cars? They are built to be able to take at least a little bit of wear. When I got my dsm you could see the timing belt teeth through the TOP of the belt, through a fray COMPLETELY THROUGH THE CORDS. Thats not a good thing, and the first thing I did was replace it, but yea...his belt isn't going to snap because its a teensy bit frayed on the very edge. The sky is not falling, no structural integrity of the belt was compromised, it won't fray any more if the problem was fixed...be realistic, trim it, keep an eye on it till you are sure its solid, and move on.

the two oil pan bolts that go thru the oilpump are shorter then the others.. check there.. if you installed the wrong size ones it will do this... just keep looking you will find it man.

Have you seen many used timing belts come off of cars? They are built to be able to take at least a little bit of wear. When I got my dsm you could see the timing belt teeth through the TOP of the belt, through a fray COMPLETELY THROUGH THE CORDS. First thing I did was replace it, but yea...his belt isn't going to snap because its a teensy bit frayed on the very edge. The OP's timing belt rubbed a bit and frayed at the edge. Big deal. The sky is not falling, no structural integrity of the belt was compromised, Trim it and move on.

As already stated, it's his engine, if he, and you want run damaged belts be my guest. In my experience they will wear a lot faster when they are frayed like that. It's not like it ruins the valves or anything.

the two oil pan bolts that go thru the oilpump are shorter then the others.. check there.. if you installed the wrong size ones it will do this... just keep looking you will find it man.

Read thru the whole thread, he already found what was causing it.

The former owner of mine had a piece of debris lodge in the timing belt cover between the belt and the cover, thats what scored mine up pretty bad before I got it...could be something that made its way under your tbelt cover as well.

The problem was already found, i don't know why people are still speculating about it.

As already stated, it's his engine, if he, and you want run damaged belts be my guest. In my experience they will wear a lot faster when they are frayed like that. It's not like it ruins the valves or anything.

Read thru the whole thread, he already found what was causing it.

I don't run a damaged belt, and I'd advise the OP doesn't either. If you think that the small bit of fray shown would constitute a "ruined" belt, then it would probably make you sleep better at night to spend that extra money or time and fix it. I wouldn't lose any sleep at night, but I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse, and closely examine it to make sure its just frayed and not cut or scored.

I don't run a damaged belt, and I'd advise the OP doesn't either. If you think that the small bit of fray shown would constitute a "ruined" belt, then it would probably make you sleep better at night to spend that extra money or time and fix it. I wouldn't lose any sleep at night, but I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse, and closely examine it to make sure its just frayed and not cut or scored.

I work on other people's car's for a living so there is no compromise.

I work on other people's car's for a living so there is no compromise.

generally speaking, unfortunately that sounds like something very easily said by a mechanic (doesn't have to pay for the repair being recommended, has own tools/lift/shop/knowledge, can schedule and make repairs very quickly and at ones own convenience, makes money from diagnosing, billing and performing often unnecessary repair work, selling cosmetic repairs as "crucial" or "safety issues", exaggerates problems to create sense of urgency). It sounds like he really doesn't want to do another timing belt if he doesn't have to.

generally speaking, unfortunately that sounds like something very easily said by a mechanic (doesn't have to pay for the repair being recommended, has own tools/lift/shop/knowledge, can schedule and make repairs very quickly and at ones own convenience, makes money from diagnosing, billing and performing often unnecessary repair work, selling cosmetic repairs as "crucial" or "safety issues", exaggerates problems to create sense of urgency). It sounds like he really doesn't want to do another timing belt if he doesn't have to.

What about said mechanic having to rebuild a whole head with new valves and guides, followed by machine work to seat the valves and then installation out of his own pocket because the timing belt wasn't changed?

Exactly ^^ No compromise. He is saying he wouldn't run it because the risk of the damage that can happen is not worth using that frayed belt. Think about what a customer would say/do if they had a frayed t-belt installed by a mechanic and it failed.

I would think of the belt like this,.. Imagine if there is a small hairline rip/crack that you can't see. The rip/crack will get worse over time because of the tension on the belt ect. It could just rip at any time, that is how I would look at it.

What happens when you hit full boost and 7k+ rpms and the belt breaks?

I hear you on not wanting to buy another one just because I has 1 mile on it or whatever, but it doesn't matter, damage has been done to that belt.

That's just my opinion, but it is your car.

What about said mechanic having to rebuild a whole head with new valves and guides, followed by machine work to seat the valves and then installation out of his own pocket because the timing belt wasn't changed?

This is my point exactly, everything is done right, no expenses spared if it can come back on me. Hell even if a timing belt has a little oil on it and it is new i will make the owner replace it. 30 bucks for a belt versus 300+ for valves, guides, machine work, gaskets, another belt. I also DO NOT replace things that aren't broken to make extra money, but with a timing belt on an interference engine there is no compromise. Either replace it or they can take it to someone who will cheap out.

the belt was 80 not 30 its OEM mitsu I caught this immediately were talking like 2min of idle not miles and where it was touching it was simply rubbing slightly removing a little dirt and grease from the crank sensor. I think its simply cosmetic here is a few for high res pictures.

Stop spending so much on mitsu belts, I've been installing and torturing continental belts for years and they hold up just as well if not better than OE belts. If its good enough for BMW, it should be good enough for your DSM.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back