The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 2G timing belt tensioner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gtalonjem

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Terre Haute, Indiana
OK, I'm at the position of my build to install the timing belt tensioner. The old T B tensioner would not decompress so I thought it may be bad. I purchased another one from Miller Imports and I received it yesterday. I tried to install it and again I could not get it to decompress. Is there a trick to this, am I missing something? I need you pro's to help a Newbie out. All the help will be a great Thank you :confused:

Solution
OK after further research I have found that the tensioner is already decompressed. So all I have to do is compress it, put the pin in, and install the part. I apologize for the dumb question (hence the NEWBIE status) I will make sure I do a lot more research before I post something on here. :hellyeah:
When you buy a new tensioner, it should already be 'compressed', and the granade pin installed. You install it in the compressed state. Once you bolt down the tensioner, and get everything 'timed' and the tensioner gap set properly, you then pull the pin. This lets the pin 'move out'. (out being decompressed).
So, it is a little confusing when your asking '"how do you decompress it". Are you having a specific issue, such as it does not fit, or you cannot get the proper gap?

Here is a good link with lots of pics...may be helpful...

Pictorial: Installing/Timing a timing belt (6bolt/2g)

OK after further research I have found that the tensioner is already decompressed. So all I have to do is compress it, put the pin in, and install the part. I apologize for the dumb question (hence the NEWBIE status) I will make sure I do a lot more research before I post something on here. :hellyeah:

Solution
Compress the new tensioner very very slowly in order to put the grenade (retaining) pin in before installing it. Too fast and you will damage it's internal oil seals and then it won't keep proper tension on the timing belt. This can result in the timing belt breaking or coming off in which case the pistons will then smash into 4-8 valves and you will have a major head/value job to do.

OK after further research I have found that the tensioner is already decompressed.

I don't understand why a new tensioner would be sold decompressed? I thought all new tensioners are sold compressed with the grenade pin installed, as previously mentioned.

I know when I did my tbelt job earlier this week, my hydraulic tensioner was compressed with retainer holding it in place. I also printed out the timing belt vfaq and followed it to the last point and had no trouble setting the tension.

Well at first, it took me a few tries before I was able to get the pre-tension correct, but shortly after I was able to pull the pin out with no friction whatsoever. And if you bought the tensioner new, why would you bother checking to see if it really works? Of course it's going to work, it's a brand new part.:banghead:

Proper research should have at least pointed you to the vfaq. I could post the link for you, but then if I do, how will you learn to research thoroughly on your own.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back