The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved 1G Timing Belt Tensioner question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I read how to slowly compress, and they should come out slowly. Both that I have cannot be pushed in using all my weight but come out immediately when the vise is released. Junk?

Either action, compressing or releasing the tensioner, are supposed to be done in a slow and controlled fashion. That is, any force applied to the rod is meant to be relieved slowly, not just sprung loose to where the tensioner can immediately extend.

Are these used tensioners?

Yes used, was trying to determine if they are bad or not, a topic about this comes up when you search.

A Wiseman said that a good tensioner will extend slowly with pressure released from being compressed. I kinda doubted that. My assumption is if they are strong enough that you have to use a vise to compress and aren't leaking they are probably good.

Since I'm sick of working on them I'll be buying a new one anyway LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back